Configure switch flows to use different instances of InDesign

stevehum

Configure switch flows to use different instances of InDesign

Post by stevehum »

Is it possible?

I have end-users who use both InDesign CC 2017 and InDesign CC 2019. Ideally want one workflow to submit 2017 files to be opened with 2017 and a different flow to submit 2019 files to be opened with 2019. It appears you can only point the InDesign configurator to a single instance of InDesign, even if multiple are installed. I'm assuming this is by design, otherwise it would be easier to do (and I'm sure there are other factors to consider if it can be done), but can it?

Apologies if this is a nube question, but that's what I am.

Thanks

Steve
Shawn_Anderson

Re: Configure switch flows to use different instances of InDesign

Post by Shawn_Anderson »

Hi Steve

You can filter based on [Metadata.Text:Path="xmp:CreatorTool"] to find out what version of InDesign that was used to create the file, but as far as I know you can't have more than one Configurator active that points to different versions of InDesign.

There is a program called Soxy that can be used to open a file in the version of InDesign that created it. If you point the configurator to that it might work. There is a demo so you can test it out.

https://www.rorohiko.com/wordpress/down ... rain-soxy/

Shawn
Shawn_Anderson

Post by Shawn_Anderson »

Hi Steve

You can filter based on [Metadata.Text:Path="xmp:CreatorTool"] to find out what version of InDesign that was used to create the file, but as far as I know you can't have more than one Configurator active that points to different versions of InDesign.

There is a program called Soxy that can be used to open a file in the version of InDesign that created it. If you point the configurator to that it might work. There is a demo so you can test it out.

https://www.rorohiko.com/wordpress/down ... rain-soxy/

Shawn
Last edited by Shawn_Anderson on Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Malcolm Mackenzie

Post by Malcolm Mackenzie »

Yes it screws up trying to have 2 Versions of CC on the box.
Is there an issue with opening 2017 files in 2019?
stevehum

Post by stevehum »

Thanks for the feedback, Shawn. Will check out the link provided.

Malcolm - Regarding use of 2019 to open 2017 files, users have a long-standing paranoia about one version of InDesign opening files created in another version and causing "reflow" that isn't obvious until the book is printed, with the solution (in their view) being to have every version of InDesign ever invented (!) and pick and choose which version to use. (Well, we limit it to a couple of versions now, and try not to change too much, but have to move forward as Adobe releases newer versions. I believe the issue of "reflow" was more prevalent with earlier versions of InDesign, and depended to some degree on other factors (e.g. fonts available), but I can't say I ever saw any concrete examples. But it has been easier to accommodate the "concern" by deploying at least two versions for local use and letting users work it out.

I'm not inclined to perpetuate this Switch, but was asked if it was possible. Glad to find out I wasn't missing anything obvious.

Thanks again.

Steve
Malcolm Mackenzie

Post by Malcolm Mackenzie »

Hi Steve

Ah users!
If the set up needs and supports it.
You could try using Connect internal or externally.
Connect can be set to place Print Settings in Indesign user version.
User then print using the settings and Opens connect to place it in Switch.
https://www.enfocus.com/en/support/down ... t-plug-ins
Malcolm