Other people can't connect to switch client

RytisT

Other people can't connect to switch client

Post by RytisT »

Hello.

We're having an issue where people can't connect to switch client, only localhost computer (where switch is hosted) can connect to switch client.
Other people are all connected within same network. This started with 2019 spring update, nothing else changed, ports are still the same, the 51089 port seems to be open. Firewall is not blocking switch.

I thought this was network problem, but while I was on my vacation, I learned that one of my colleagues was able to connect to switch client, but as soon as I turned on switch designer on localhost computer, he was not able to connect to switch client anymore.

Weird problem. Already wrote to enfocus support, bus as I am waiting for their response, perhaps anyone has any ideas what can I check/do here? Thanks.
Padawan
Advanced member

Re: Other people can't connect to switch client

Post by Padawan »

Can you give more details on the issue? Does not being able to connect mean that the webclient login page doesn't load, or that they are not able to login?

Also please note that two ports need to be open in order for the webclient to work, by default this is 51088 and 51089. These can be changed in the "Web services" section of the Switch preferences. If only 51089 is open, then you will see the login page but won't be able to login.

If the ports are ok, then it might be a good idea to check the Switch messages after a user tried to login.
RytisT

Post by RytisT »

Padawan wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:37 pm Can you give more details on the issue? Does not being able to connect mean that the webclient login page doesn't load, or that they are not able to login?

Also please note that two ports need to be open in order for the webclient to work, by default this is 51088 and 51089. These can be changed in the "Web services" section of the Switch preferences. If only 51089 is open, then you will see the login page but won't be able to login.

If the ports are ok, then it might be a good idea to check the Switch messages after a user tried to login.
Sorry. No, users can't see login page at all. They just get a generic error, like page not found or something like that.
I'm not sure how to correctly check ports, but I checked through windows terminal by entering "netstat -an" and I did find those both ports mentioned in there a couple of times.

Weird part for me is that when I left for vacation, it wasn't working at all, when I came back, my colleague said that he was able to use it (but him alone, no one else) and as soon as I turned on enfocus designer on localhost computer, it stopped working for him. (On localhost it still works.)
Padawan
Advanced member

Post by Padawan »

"Page not found" means it can reach a webpage, but not the subpage. Is it possible the error is "Can't connect to server"?

If so, then I can see these possibilties:
- They are connecting via the wrong network address
- The ports are blocked in the firewall on the Switch server
Can you add rules in the firewall to allow incoming traffic to ports 51088 and 51089 on the Switch system?
(netstat -an will only show if a process is listening on those ports, not if they are open in the firewall)
- The users connect via a computer name (not an IP address) and the computer name is not resolving to the correct IP address.
RytisT

Post by RytisT »

Padawan wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:02 pm "Page not found" means it can reach a webpage, but not the subpage. Is it possible the error is "Can't connect to server"?

If so, then I can see these possibilties:
- They are connecting via the wrong network address
- The ports are blocked in the firewall on the Switch server
Can you add rules in the firewall to allow incoming traffic to ports 51088 and 51089 on the Switch system?
(netstat -an will only show if a process is listening on those ports, not if they are open in the firewall)
- The users connect via a computer name (not an IP address) and the computer name is not resolving to the correct IP address.

The error they get is "ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT".
The IP address is correct. We've been using it for months, same ip and port, it was working fine, also if I use localhost:51089 or ip:51089, it works for localhost, so I doubt that IP is a problem here. No, users are not connecting through computer name.
Created 51089 port rule in firewall, for inbound rules, both TCP/UDP (allowed for all apps just to test it) but no dice. Still not working.
RytisT

Post by RytisT »

Found the problem, perhaps it will be useful to someone else.

Firewall for some reason has blocked these: http://prntscr.com/of9c8y
Padawan
Advanced member

Post by Padawan »

That's interesting, I didn't see something like that before. I'll add it to my list.