EXIF Tools and spaces

Terkelsen
Advanced member

EXIF Tools and spaces

Post by Terkelsen »

I have a Switch flow with a Submit Point. I want to upload images and type the name of the photographer in a metadata field in the Submit Point. The image then go to an Execute Command element, where EXIFTool is used to put the name into the IPTC tag called "creator".

If I type a photographer name with a space like "Peter Brown", Execute Command will fail if "Fail if exit code" is set to "Nonzero". If it is set to "Disregard exit code" it will work, but only the part of the name before the space (Peter) is written into the tag.

I'm using this argument in Execute Command:
-Creator=[Metadata.Text:Path="/field-list/field[1]/value",Dataset="Submit",Model="XML"] "%1"

Does anybody know, if there is a way to put the information in brackets or anything, to get the full name into the tag?
Padawan
Advanced member

Re: EXIF Tools and spaces

Post by Padawan »

Can you try with putting single quotes around your switch variable?

By using quotes you tell the command the two parts of the name belong together. In this place I would use single quotes to not interfere with the double quotes used in the switch variable.
Terkelsen
Advanced member

Post by Terkelsen »

I'm not quite sure exactly where to place the single quotes, but I tried a lot of different possibilities and it returns either nothing at all or the first name with a single quote in front ('Peter).
LasseThid
Advanced member

Post by LasseThid »

I googled EXIFTool and found a page with Command-Line Examples and it shows this: exiftool -artist="Phil Harvey"

Have you tried the double quotes?

Also -Creator=[Metadata.Text:Path="//field[tag='Name of the metadata field']/value",Dataset="Submit",Model="XML"] "%1" makes it easier to understand what metadata is being used and also means that if you change the order of the metadata fields in the submit point you will still get the correct metadata. 8-)

So instead of /field-list/field[2]/field-list/field[1]/field-list|field/field-list/field/value you would write //field[tag='Gramvikt'] to get the value 250 gsm in the screenshot below.

Skärmavbild 2019-10-14 kl. 07.43.01.png
Skärmavbild 2019-10-14 kl. 07.43.01.png (107.76 KiB) Viewed 8795 times
Enfocus Switch, Enfocus PitStop Server, Enfocus PDF Review, HP SmartStream& Kodak Prinergy with RBA
Offset 72x102, Offset Large Format, Digital Large Format and Digital print.
Terkelsen
Advanced member

Post by Terkelsen »

Hi Lasse,

Double quotes are not accepted and this -Creator=[Metadata.Text:Path="//field[tag='Fotograf']/value",Dataset="Submit",Model="XML"] "%1" still returns only the first name :?
jan_suhr
Advanced member

Post by jan_suhr »

Try to put the whole Command in quotes. This has worked for me.
"-XMP-iptcExt:PersonInImage=[Metadata.Text:Path="/job/personer",Dataset="From Web",Model="XML"]" "%1"
Jan Suhr
Color Consult AB
Sweden
=============
Check out my apps
Padawan
Advanced member

Post by Padawan »

Jan beat me to it. His solution also works with the Creator argument:
"-Creator=[Metadata.Text:Path="/field-list/field[tag='Fotograf']/value",Dataset="Submit",Model="XML"]" "%1"
Terkelsen
Advanced member

Post by Terkelsen »

I kind of expected the solution to come from you, Jan :) Thanks a lot. Actually the problem was not only spaces but also special characters like the Danish æ, ø and å, but this solutions solves it all. It works perfect!
Terkelsen
Advanced member

Post by Terkelsen »

And thank you, Lasse, for the tip about using the tag rather than the filed-list. That makes it a lot easier when rearranging the metadata fields in the Submit point :)