Stopping flows/Force Quit not working

PdFUser5000

Stopping flows/Force Quit not working

Post by PdFUser5000 »

Sometimes when trying to stop flows i get the following error:
Some jobs are being processed in the flow 'My flow'; the flow will be stopped as soon as they completed

After this the flow just freezes. When i try to stop the server, i get the Force Quit option, but it does not work. When i click Force Quit, it just pops up again.

This usually happens, when an Adobe program is in the flow. Usually it freezes when the file is about to be opened with illustrator for example, but for some reason the process won't start, even if i have illustrator open.

I can exit this by closing all Switch parts via task manager. Sometimes it takes multiple attempts, because the server won't start up again.

Is there an option to restart my switch in a more safer way when a flow has frozen?
Padawan
Advanced member

Re: Stopping flows/Force Quit not working

Post by Padawan »

Firstly: when you are using the Adobe configurators in Switch on Windows, then Switch will only be able to connect to them when Switch starts them. When you start the Adobe applications manually, then Switch won't be able to connect and the task will keep on running endlessly.

When the issue happens I usually fix it by closing the Adobe application. Does that solve the situation for you?

If that doesn't fix it, then it should be sufficient to force quit the ScriptExecutor process which is talking to the Adobe application. There are some ways to find out which one it is:

- In recent versions of Switch you can see the PID of the scriptexecutor which is executing a task in the Switch progress pane. If you then kill the scriptexecutor with this PID in task manager, then Switch should continue operating ok.
- On Windows you can use the tool "Process Explorer" to see a tree structure of the processes on your system. Using this tree structure you can see which scriptexecutor started the Adobe application. (It will be the "parent" in the process tree structure)
PdFUser5000

Re: Stopping flows/Force Quit not working

Post by PdFUser5000 »

Padawan wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:08 pm Firstly: when you are using the Adobe configurators in Switch on Windows, then Switch will only be able to connect to them when Switch starts them. When you start the Adobe applications manually, then Switch won't be able to connect and the task will keep on running endlessly.

When the issue happens I usually fix it by closing the Adobe application. Does that solve the situation for you?

If that doesn't fix it, then it should be sufficient to force quit the ScriptExecutor process which is talking to the Adobe application. There are some ways to find out which one it is:

- In recent versions of Switch you can see the PID of the scriptexecutor which is executing a task in the Switch progress pane. If you then kill the scriptexecutor with this PID in task manager, then Switch should continue operating ok.
- On Windows you can use the tool "Process Explorer" to see a tree structure of the processes on your system. Using this tree structure you can see which scriptexecutor started the Adobe application. (It will be the "parent" in the process tree structure)
Thanks!

Closing illustrator did not work, but killing the scriptexecutor did.