Transitioning to Switch from PitStop Server?

dfreese

Transitioning to Switch from PitStop Server?

Post by dfreese »

Is it not possible to use Smart Preflight with variables in the free Switch core you get access to with PitStop Server 2020?

For the last couple of days I've been trying to move my PitStop Server hot folders and Smart Preflight setup over to Switch 2020 limited core. I followed directions from the Known Issues and Solutions page about setting up the variable sets, but I'm still confused as to what I'm supposed to use for the Variable Value in the Variable Set. I also noticed that the reference guide for Switch 2020 says Text with variables only works with the Metadata Module, and the Scripting expression only works with the Scripting Module. Does this mean you can't do any Smart Preflight inside of Switch for PitStop Server?
laurentd

Re: Transitioning to Switch from PitStop Server?

Post by laurentd »

Of course Switch is much more powerful with the Metadata Module, but even without it you can use all the others Switch metadata groups to do Smart Preflight inside of Switch for PitStop Server:
Job / Doc / Email / Image / IPTC / Office / Photo / Stats / Switch group,
Eg Job group reference (you will find all the others next to it in the doc) https://www.enfocus.com/manuals/UserGui ... group.html

With the Metadata Module, you have - in addition to Switch-specific metadata - access to XMP metadata (embedded inside the job and available in most jobs created with Adobe products) and to metadata in external files (XML or JDF tickets) submitted with the job.
A lot of elements, configurators and apps attach logs or feedback as Datasets, that you can parse using the Metadata Module.

With the Core module you can also use Private Data everywhere, eg [Job.PrivateData:Key="Customer"]
You can define you own Private Data on every folder, format: key=value (one key per line)
  Reference=[Job.NameProper]
  Customer=[Email.From]

If you have a csv file coming in and want to create private data based on the csv file content, the ASI List Magic app will do the job: https://www.enfocus.com/en/appstore/product/list-magic
Laurent De Wilde, Solution Architect @ Enfocus
dfreese

Post by dfreese »

laurentd wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:25 am Of course Switch is much more powerful with the Metadata Module, but even without it you can use all the others Switch metadata groups to do Smart Preflight inside of Switch for PitStop Server:
Job / Doc / Email / Image / IPTC / Office / Photo / Stats / Switch group,
Eg Job group reference (you will find all the others next to it in the doc) https://www.enfocus.com/manuals/UserGui ... group.html

With the Core module you can also use Private Data everywhere, eg [Job.PrivateData:Key="Customer"]
You can define you own Private Data on every folder, format: key=value (one key per line)
Reference=[Job.NameProper]
Customer=[Email.From]
Ok, it doesn't seem that I would be able to use the xml files I currently use for variables then. Unless I'm able to pull them out as Private Data or reworking it as Job group data.
abailescollins
Advanced member

Post by abailescollins »

Just a note here that the key word here is 'transition'.
We are in the transition to the new PitStop Server, and one of the reasons for this transition is to iron out any potential issues.

If you think you can't do some thing with the Switch Core that you can with the standard PitStop Server, can you drop me an email please.
Head of Product Management @ Ultimate
abc@imposition.com