Using Switch Developer Mode

Liv

Using Switch Developer Mode

Post by Liv »

I have been using Switch directly on the server. We have now set up a separate computer with Switch for developing workflows while Switch Server is doing it's work. Since I am working in the developer mode, I don't have access to Switch Client to submit jobs with metadata. I would like to test out flows with being able to submit the metadata. I have found little information, except I should use a folder and Set Job Private Data (enter a multi-line text). I have tried this and I unable to get it to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
RytisT

Re: Using Switch Developer Mode

Post by RytisT »

F̶i̶r̶s̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶,̶ ̶w̶h̶y̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶s̶w̶i̶t̶c̶h̶ ̶c̶l̶i̶e̶n̶t̶?̶ ̶I̶ ̶b̶e̶l̶i̶e̶v̶e̶ ̶s̶w̶i̶t̶c̶h̶ ̶c̶l̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶l̶w̶a̶y̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶m̶a̶c̶h̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶e̶r̶v̶e̶r̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶s̶o̶n̶ ̶w̶h̶y̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶c̶l̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶s̶w̶i̶t̶c̶h̶?̶
Last edited by RytisT on Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Liv

Post by Liv »

I can access Switch Client but when I want to test the flows I have created in Developer mode they don't show up in our Client. I have been told that Developer mode and the Production machine need to be separate.
jan_suhr
Advanced member

Post by jan_suhr »

If you have a Developer license it is a separate installation that indeed should be on another server. There you develop and test your flows before you move them to the production environment.
Jan Suhr
Color Consult AB
Sweden
=============
Check out my apps
Liv

Post by Liv »

We do have both licenses. When I have metadata to input - how do I do that when I am unable to use client?
Thank you for your help!
Zoranj

Post by Zoranj »

Just to make sure we are on the same page, you should have two separate instances of Switch on two separate servers.
One server has production Switch
Second server has Developer Switch.

By all means, these two have nothing with each other.
Whatever you develop and test on Developer server is tied only to Developer Switch.
You need to export your flow, once you are happy with it and import it into Production Switch.

For this to be headache free process, both servers should be setup identically with same set of folders, etc..

I hope this helps.
jan_suhr
Advanced member

Post by jan_suhr »

Do you have the Developer Client license? All the separate modules have their own developer license.

What can you see in the list of modules? Are they grayed out or colored (blue).
You also have a checkbox in the user section where you set "Submit and check jobs" for each user. If that box is unchecked that user can't use the Client.
Jan Suhr
Color Consult AB
Sweden
=============
Check out my apps
Liv

Post by Liv »

We do have both licenses for Switch; Production & Developer and they are on two separate machines.
How do I test the flows on the Developer side when I have Metadata entered through Client (web submit)?
Thanks!