First impression

Share best practices about BoardingPass during the public pre-release period.
pietdepauw
Site Admin

First impression

Post by pietdepauw »

Well... if you're here you probably tried it.
What do you think? We're very curious ;)
RytisT

Re: First impression

Post by RytisT »

Definitely something we'd like to use, however this tool could really use integration with PitStop, so we could make our own custom checks. Perhaps such integration is planed?
Rob_Wh

Post by Rob_Wh »

Just installed and even though I intentionally "messed with" the PDF imported, it's not flagged any of the issues I created.

I rotated a few pages 90 degrees, and removed the bleed on others, but the left pane only shows Seps and Trim size - no warnings like the demo presentation showed. Is this a really REALLY stripped down release? Was hoping to have some Admins give it a test drive, but if it's just a glorified PDF Viewer, I'll wait.
abailescollins
Advanced member

Post by abailescollins »

You should be seeing warnings and errors for image resolution, missing fonts and missing bleed on the left hand Panel Rob?

You can ping me your test file if you want, you have my email I think.
Head of Product Management @ Ultimate
abc@imposition.com
Rob_Wh

Post by Rob_Wh »

Andrew,

Ok, I maybe should have tested a few more files! I did a sample PDF out of InDesign with the same intentional errors and boarding Pass did indeed flag them & display in the left pane. However, I rotated one of the pages 90 degrees and it's still displaying ALL the pages as right reading, no warning about a bad rotation in the PDF.

Here's the Sample PDF I created.
john.dean@esko.com

Post by john.dean@esko.com »

Rob_Wh:

PitStop sees the rotation as 270 degrees. This has given me fits in the past when trying to impose. Certain software honors that rotation, others do not. So, I ran the action, "Zero Rotation Key" and checked the file again with BoardingPass.
Last edited by john.dean@esko.com on Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Somewhat familiar with Enfocus products.
abailescollins
Advanced member

Post by abailescollins »

Yep, it's the Rotate Key. Thanks Rob, added it to the list for development!!
abc@imposition.com
Rob_Wh

Post by Rob_Wh »

No problem! Can't tell you how many times the "Zero Rotation Key" has gotten me in trouble. :P
schulzi

Post by schulzi »

Hey there,

I have installed BP for all our CSRs and I think it can save a massive amount of time in prepress.
I like the simplicity. Only issue so far: the bleed warning: customers do not accept when we send them a report with a bleed warning for the inside (binding) edge of pages. Not sure how to improve (odd/even pages don't always fall consistently).
If our CSRs have to do too much vetting, they will get lazy and pass on to prepress.
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

Tested.
Daily we process 3000-5000 files ranging between 20K-50K pages. Each job can be somewhere between 50-200 documents/files.
75% is not PDF, but native office documents.
the 25% being PDFs are 99% with problems, which according to BP qualify them for rejection.
In our case - the people submitting the jobs are only messengers and they do not prepare those mostly office type documents. Nothing pretty, purely written information.
Pinging it back to them, with a few page long report the BP generates literally means - it never gets corrected and resubmitted (they are just the messengers and would not even know any of what the report says) and the job is lost due to that, as we work with short 24-48h timelines with global requestors where additionally time zones add to the mix of issues.
So in summary - completely of no use to us.
abailescollins
Advanced member

Post by abailescollins »

That kind of volume you need something like PitStop Server and it's correction capabilities.
abc@imposition.com
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

abailescollins wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:06 pm That kind of volume you need something like PitStop Server and it's correction capabilities.
Thank you Andrew for your input, indeed we have Switch and PitStop Server engaged taking the load :)
I was just curious to find out whether the BP could somehow be quicker and consistent with regards to what it identifies as issues.
Yet did not expect every single file to have such a long list of problems :D
We'll stick with processing with Switch