Merge XML into PDF.

Xazzi

Merge XML into PDF.

Post by Xazzi »

Hey all,

Fairly new to this, learning as fast as I can. Currently in our flow we are creating an XML file that contains some specific information derived from scripts ran in Illustrator, a PDF is then ran through PitStop to create the normal Preflight report. What I'm looking for now is a way to write the information from the XML file to the PDF Report, that way all of the information is contained to a single place with easy readability. I have a script that can do this within Illustrator but I was hoping to be able to do it outside of Illustrator and not tie up that resource. Ideally a way to make this happen in Acrobat, unless Pitstop can do this as well.

Is this possible? And if so then how?

Thanks all.
loicaigon
Advanced member

Re: Merge XML into PDF.

Post by loicaigon »

Hi,

You can achieve this through different approaches.

First of all, you could think of passing the report to a new PitStopServer HotFolder and use an action to add a page and text objects combined to variables that would be filled with the xml metadata.

Second of all, you could think of using PDF xForms to fill a template with the xml file and later merge that file to the report.

Third of all, using some desktop applications such as you did to lay out the xml data and then merge the PDF

It's likely option 2 would be the quickest to achieve.

HTH

Loic
http://www.ozalto.com/
pcobee

Re: Merge XML into PDF.

Post by pcobee »

We use xsl:fo to generate PDF output. All you need is a text editor and a rendering engine like the one from RenderX - about $400 for their XEPWin Desktop which is what we use. We use it to generate about 1400 pollbooks of 250 pages each for elections. Its a very robust and high performance solution and dirt cheap to implement!