Defining trim box

Arjen

Defining trim box

Post by Arjen »

Good afternoon,

We’ve started to use Pitstop Profile Editor to make ActionLists and a profile. Most things we try to check work fine, but we have a problem with defining the artwork size. We receive a lot of different types of artwork, with different die-line or trim marks.

Trim marks: Works fine. I’ve managed to set the trim box to the trim marks.

Die-line as a line: works fine with a workaround. I select the spot color Die. When you fit the trim box to the selection, it uses the outline of the line, so with different line widths, it generates different trim boxes. I’ve fixed this by changing the line width to 2 mm first so I know who much smaller the trim box should be. Then I change the width back to our standard of 0,2 mm. Don’t know if this is the right way, but I don’t see any other option to fit the trim box to the middle of the die line. Any other options to do this easier?

Die-line as a shape (no line): I don’t get this right. Again, I select the spot color Die and fit the trim box to it. It uses the outline so the trim box is a bit to big. How do I choose to use the middle of the die-line?

Trim marks AND a die-line: Some artworks have trim marks AND a die-line in it. What’s the way to go with artwork like that?

I’m an experienced DTP-er but an unexperienced Pitstop user. Any help is welkom.
abailescollins
Advanced member

Re: Defining trim box

Post by abailescollins »

Die-line as a shape. Are you looking to prelight only within the shape, ie within the Die? Or is it purely about the size
If so you need to setup a restriction.
If you let me know I can help.

Regarding Trim marks AND a die-line, what's important, where is the content you want to work with?
Head of Product Management @ Ultimate
abc@imposition.com
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

Die-line as a shape: It's pure the size I want to know. The other checks I've already built in.

Trimbox AND a die-line: Sometimes the trim marks are at the right position, sometimes the die-line and sometimes both. I want to check within the trimbox but that's nog the problem. The problem is defining the size of the label.

Thanks in advance!
abailescollins
Advanced member

Post by abailescollins »

It's an interesting one, unfortunately in PDF there is no 'centre line' like there is in illustrator, so some workarounds are needed.

You can reduce the thickness of the line, check the size and then increase it again, I guess the strokes are different thicknesses?
Does it hurt to standardise on a thickness and convert them all to that so you have a known stroke thickness?
Head of Product Management @ Ultimate
abc@imposition.com