Gather and Return

Eightyk

Gather and Return

Post by Eightyk »

Hello all,
I'm fairly new to pitstop and switch.

I see in pitstop server there are actions that say "gather" X .... or instance "Gather Ink Information" which is awesome and will really help us cut down on leftover custom ink colors. I was able to get that information added to a report generated from pitstop server but what i really would like is to take the "gathered" information and spit it back into switch as private data or xml or something. That way I can use it when generating our shop paperwork.

Is it possible to get that information back into switch or is it only put into a pdf report?

-Austin
freddyp
Advanced member

Re: Gather and Return

Post by freddyp »

In Switch you can set the PitStop Server configurator to create an XML report and the ink usage is in there.
Eightyk

Post by Eightyk »

Thanks Freddy! I was hoping it was something dumb that I was just overlooking.

However, I'm still having a bit of an issue with it. When I run a file through, it does generate a report, but I found that there are a few weird things about it.

1.) the stop light connection wouldn't work with "data with log" selected, I would only receive back the pdf. So I ended up making 2 folders with 1 allowing "log" and the other allowing "data" to pass and then combined them back into the same folder. Is this normal?
error data with log.JPG
error data with log.JPG (17.05 KiB) Viewed 9244 times
2.) this gave me the report in XML format. When opening the raw XML in a text editor all the data i need is there. However, when drilling into "build location path" in switch, the data that i need isn't in the XML, it displays other data. See attached screenshot.

3.) I was trying to use the XML pickup element and no matter which option i select, it goes into problem jobs. I don't know if its because of the difference in question #2?
Attachments
xml-gone.jpg
xml-gone.jpg (188.36 KiB) Viewed 9244 times
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

There is a common misunderstanding that "Data with Log" creates 2 files in the output folder. It creates 1 file in the output folder and the Log part is attached as a dataset (in other words as metadata).

So if you use "Data with Log" as output from PitStop Server and the report is an XML file it is automatically attached as an XML dataset. If the report is a PDF, then it is also a attached as a dataset, but the obviously as an opaque dataset.

For those who need both a PDF report and an XML report: the PitStop Server configurator has a property to create an "Additional XML report dataset name".
Eightyk

Post by Eightyk »

Ah, this clears some things up, looks like i can get what i need now! Thank you!
Maybe a wording change is in order for that option?

Data with embedded log?
Data with metadata log?