Hello and first question - Layer export

AndyTaylors

Hello and first question - Layer export

Post by AndyTaylors »

First of all, hello to everyone I am glad i found this forum.
Afraid i have to start off with a question, new to pitstop so please be gentle. I have been supplied a pdf with approximately 30 layers in it (black text overprints only), is there an easy way to export all the layers each into an individual pdf of its own? I can find options for flattening etc but can't seem to find a quick way to split the file by layer.
Many thanks if you can help and i look forward to browsing through the forums.

Regards
Andy
Prepress operator
abailescollins
Advanced member

Re: Hello and first question - Layer export

Post by abailescollins »

I'm afraid that's not currently possible in PitStop Andy. Sorry to disappoint you at the first opportunity!
Head of Product Management @ Ultimate
abc@imposition.com
AndyTaylors

Post by AndyTaylors »

Thats a shame, but many thanks for replying. I am learning so much anyhow just by searching and browsing, one day may even be able to help someone but a long way off yet i imagine!
Regards
abailescollins
Advanced member

Post by abailescollins »

No problem Andy, are you aware of the free monthly training webinars I run for PitStop?
We have been doing these for over two years, so we have somthing like 27 hours of training recorded.

If you want to get access to them, the best way is to join the 'Official PitStop user group' on Linkedin.
All the links and agendas for recordings are posted there.

If you want to register for the next webinars, you can do so via the events section on the home page of the Enfocus website.
https://www.enfocus.com/en/events/month ... -workshops
Head of Product Management @ Ultimate
abc@imposition.com
AndyTaylors

Post by AndyTaylors »

yes, thanks, i have watched a few on catch up (can't make the live ones). So far have learnt quite a lot
sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

Can't you select layers by name or something and trash the 29 layers you don't need?

Not that elegant, but I have ideas to implement such a thing for jobs we send to our Zünd + Highcon. In this case I want to preserve the Crease/Cut layers etc. in a separate pdf and strip 'em out in the file I send to the Indigo.

For now I still think this is possible :)
bens
Advanced member

Post by bens »

If you know the name of each layer (or their processing steps metadata), sander's idea would work. But you'd have to process the file 30 times to get each of the layers, not very elegant indeed ;-)

And if you don't know beforehand which layers will be in the file, then you're out of luck.
sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

Hmm, this project hasn't started yet for me but I couldn't resist Googling it.

How about you use the Adobe configurators with a script to split the layers? Seems to be done already according to the Adobe community;
https://forums.adobe.com/message/2638428#2638428