How to Test Fixups? (Generic PDF // not app specific)

TheCaptain

How to Test Fixups? (Generic PDF // not app specific)

Post by TheCaptain »

We've nearly finalised our Preflight Profiles, and are looking to refine our Fixup setups. I can't think of an effective way to test them though.

With the Preflight, it was relatively straightforward to create a file that was the opposite of a 'Pass', i.e. a really crap file with everything wrong.

But with fixups (in this case, to conform to PDFX-1a), I'm struggling to create an issue / fail, and then struggling to confirm that the issue has been resolved when it pops out the other side of the process.

For Example :

'Remove Alternate Images'
• 'Correct nesting of page Geometry Boxes'

Any thoughts on how to set up an incorrect file, and then assess how the fixup has been actioned :?:
Padawan
Advanced member

Re: How to Test Fixups? (Generic PDF // not app specific)

Post by Padawan »

If you have PitStop Pro, then I think you should be able to create such "bad" files:

• 'Remove Alternate Images'
You can create a PDF with Alternate Images by building an action list with the "Add alternate Images" action.

• 'Correct nesting of page Geometry Boxes'
I think you can create a PDF which triggers this fix by creating a PDF where any PDF Page box is bigger then the media box. There are different ways to accomplish this in PitStop Pro:
- Edit Page box Tool
- Enfocus Inspector
- Design Layout's
- Action Lists
TheCaptain

Post by TheCaptain »

We don't have Pitstop, but we do utilise Callas pdfToolbox.

I was hoping to create a .PDF through an Adobe product that would not conform.

What I've started to do is build a Preflight with all of the Fixups as Checks which should give a kind of pre-fixup guide as to when I've successfully created a 'bad' file.

So far though, every attempt to make a wrong file has somehow not come out as bad as anticipated! If only every Artworker I dealt with had such levels of accidental accuracy! :lol:
Padawan
Advanced member

Post by Padawan »

This is a file created in PitStop which I think should trigger your errors:
https://ufile.io/hfieb
TheCaptain

Post by TheCaptain »

That's worked perfectly. Nice one. Thanks 8-)

As an Artworker, I'm not even sure I would have clocked those errors in any given .PDF passed across my desk. It shows how easily a poorly formatted file could slip through without a solid Preflight.

If I could only work out a way to forge these bad .PDFs myself... :? I need to prove that our Preflight / Fixup works against all the criteria we specify.
Padawan
Advanced member

Post by Padawan »

You're welcome.

As to creating those files yourself, I doubt it is technically possible to create them using Illustrator/PhotoShop/InDesign. In my opinion the preflight checks (mostly the page box one, in lesser extent the alternate image one) are more intended to catch PDF's which are produced by badly written applications or PDF's altered by applications by PitStop Pro by people not realizing the consequences of their actions.
TheCaptain

Post by TheCaptain »

Yes, that's exactly our reason for wishing to Preflight. To cover off supplied Artwork from sources outside of our control. Ideally, the Fixup would occur autonomously.

I'll link the rough list of errors I'm trying to test for. The end game being a Fixup set that can resolve any off these flags. But to be able to show that they work, or rather, work in a predictable way that can be shown and guaranteed to clients I've got to make a .PDF that won't pass. Some of it is simple enough; Actions / Forms / Profiles and so on but as you say, creating ones like the original two in the big Adobe three seems impossible :|

P.s This list is not finalised and as such repeats some of the same points but in slightly differing ways etc.
Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 09.54.51.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 09.54.51.png (104.52 KiB) Viewed 11422 times