How do I preflight for an item with zero fill and is knockout (but the designer thinks has a fill)

cwswitch

How do I preflight for an item with zero fill and is knockout (but the designer thinks has a fill)

Post by cwswitch »

Examples here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing Though they appear to have the same settings, File 'A' ripped OK and File 'B' did not.

The results when ripped and printed was solid white circles as the RIP is (correctly I believe) knocking out beneath the circles.

The expected result by the designer was semi opaque white circles with the background showing through (it displays this way in Acrobat).

1) How do I catch such jobs in Preflight?
2) How do I fix them when caught?

Many thanks!
Zoranj

Re: How do I preflight for an item with zero fill and is knockout (but the designer thinks has a fill)

Post by Zoranj »

As far as I can tell, in my test there is nothing wrong with either PDF and they rip same way they preview in Acrobat.
Designer is correct in this case and your rip is either old/outdated or you have improper setting.
Circles are part of the Transparency group that is not set to knockout.

I hope this helps
cwswitch

Re: How do I preflight for an item with zero fill and is knockout (but the designer thinks has a fill)

Post by cwswitch »

Thanks for that.

I have investigated further and found 2 steps in prepress that are causing the error. I'm not sure now how the steps are causing this though

At the same link https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing I now have "A LF" and "B LF" these files have had a step done in prepress.

If we then run the "Add bleed" action, the transparency breaks. - I don't know why :?
cwswitch

Post by cwswitch »

I have now fixed this.

The cause was that prepress run a Quite Hot imposing action followed by a Pitstop action. There is nothing wrong with these tools normally, but these two actions when run one after the other break transparencies.

I have replaced the Quite Hot action with a Pitstop one that achieves the same goal and the transparencies are maintained.