DeviceN and NChannel

ace27rsm

DeviceN and NChannel

Post by ace27rsm »

Hi to everyone,
I'm new in this forum, but I'm using pitstop and switch since few years.

I really need help about the question DEVICEN and NCHANNEL. there is very few documentation on the web about this argument. I had a lot of trouble with this issue. In particular, when I try to open a artwork created by inDesign on illustrator, some shading object disappear. I tried to convert Nchannel to DeviceN by preflight. But nothing change. I tried to convert to cmyk, but these objects continue to disappear.
Anyway, I had other problem to ripping a file that is a result of imposition of these artworks too. Sometimes is hard for ripping software (I use harlequim rip) to success, and If I not convert from Nchannel to cmyk there is high probability that it fails, like it would be out of memory!

Please, is there some one that can help me about this? and that can explain me more about this argument or can tell me where to find a documentation?

Thanks

Bye
bens
Advanced member

Re: DeviceN and NChannel

Post by bens »

NChannel and DeviceN are basically the same thing - an NChannel just contains a bit of extra information that's not present in a DeviceN. If the software can handle DeviceN, it should be able to use NChannel, although there might be small rendering differences.

If a file created in InDesign doesn't display correctly in Illustrator you should probably log this with Adobe. But remember that Illustrator is _not_ a general purpose PDF editor.

PitStop has a "Convert shading to image" action which may help with the RIP problems.
r.zegwaard

Re: DeviceN and NChannel

Post by r.zegwaard »

I guess that the document uses transparency combined with spotcolors and the pdf is flattened while exporting from indesign. If this is so, you have two options:
  • Export the pdf in a higher pdf-version (eg X4) and see if youre rip handels the pdf like it should.
  • Convert spotcolors to cmyk in Indesign by using the option in the ink-manager (all spot-colors to process) and export the pdf like you did before.