Spot Colors to Layers

tmurphy

Spot Colors to Layers

Post by tmurphy »

Hello,

I have a supplied PDF that has 4/C + spot color(s). Looking to create an action that will place the 4/C on a "BASE" layer and place the spot color on a "PMS XYZ" layer.

We have created an action that can do this but, we often receive PDF's with multiple spots that need to be placed on multiple spot layers.

Would like to create an action that could create layers based on all spot colors and move content accordingly.

Currently, we would have to edit the action every time as the supplied PDF's use different spots every time.

Thanks
Padawan
Advanced member

Re: Spot Colors to Layers

Post by Padawan »

I haven't tested it myself, but I think this does what you need?
https://www.enfocus.com/en/appstore/pro ... pdf-layers

Edit: that is, it is what you need when you have both PitStop Server and Enfocus Switch.
abailescollins
Advanced member

Post by abailescollins »

That won't work, that will create a separate PDF for each layer.
Head of Product Management @ Ultimate
abc@imposition.com
abailescollins
Advanced member

Post by abailescollins »

As you rightly say the problem here is the sheer diversity of different spot color names that you are going to receive.
The selection of the colors is possible with a regular expression, it's the placing it on a layer of the correct name that's the tricky part.

I assume this is for a proof that shows separations to the user in Adobe Acrobat Reader?

I'll run it by development, maybe we'll have to make something specific to do it, I think it's worthwhile.
abc@imposition.com
abailescollins
Advanced member

Post by abailescollins »

Just another point on this.
When you assign an object to a layer in PDF, it does not move the object or change the viewing order of the file.

Layers in PDF are not the same as Illustrator or Indesign. In fact they aren't really layers.

In PDF they are just a way of enabling objects to be viewed or not, they are really 'Optional Content Groups'
So 'optionally' they can be on or off. It's possible in PDF to have the same object assigned to multiple layers.

One other thing, layers are not a separation view, so for instance if you use the approach above for a spot color duotone.
You won't see separations, you will see the duotone image on the layers for the colors in it.
Hope that makes sense?
abc@imposition.com
tmurphy

Post by tmurphy »

abailescollins wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:02 pm As you rightly say the problem here is the sheer diversity of different spot color names that you are going to receive.
The selection of the colors is possible with a regular expression, it's the placing it on a layer of the correct name that's the tricky part.

I assume this is for a proof that shows separations to the user in Adobe Acrobat Reader?

I'll run it by development, maybe we'll have to make something specific to do it, I think it's worthwhile.
Placing the spot on the correct layer is where I get stuck! The only workaround we have at the moment is to adjust the .eal to pick and place spots per job. Just was looking for a "set and forget" workflow.

Let me know what development comes up with.

Thanks
Tim
abailescollins
Advanced member

Post by abailescollins »

We'd need to make a dedicated Action List for this.
It's not possible today
abc@imposition.com