[SOLVED] Unzipping files zipped on a Mac

dfsocha

[SOLVED] Unzipping files zipped on a Mac

Post by dfsocha »

I'm having an issue where, if a job folder is zipped on a Mac and then unzipped using Switch (on a Windows computer), the fonts are there in name but are 0KB files and don't contain any data.

Example: An employee dropped a Zip file from a customer (typical) into the automated workflow we have. The top level of the zip contained the job folder as well as the Mac_OSX folder. In the Mac_OSX folder are reference files - the job files are in the job folder which contains an InDesign file, a 'Document Fonts' folder and a 'Links' folder. Due to the issue with the fonts, the InDesign file can't properly load the fonts.

I've opened the Zip file using multiple windows computers (outside of switch) and still get the error but if I open the file on a Mac, the fonts are there and if I open the InDesign file, it loads correctly.

Is there something I can do in Switch to extract these files so that they extract the fonts and process documents correctly?
Last edited by dfsocha on Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billy.olvestad

Re: Unzipping files zipped on a Mac

Post by billy.olvestad »

This is just a guess, but I think your problem is related to the fonts themselves, and not the unzipping. Those are probably mac specific fonts, and they will not work in windows.

If standard OpenType or TrueType fonts has been used, this is usually not a problem and the fonts will work anyway, but if you have older PostScript fonts, those are platform specific I am afraid, so they will not work in Windows, and need to be replaced for you to use the document in Windows.

The fonts rely on the mac resource forks that are in the Mac_OSX folder. The same problem will occur if the fonts are Windows PostScript fonts and you try to open the document on a Mac. This is why I strongly recommend that people stop using old PostScript fonts and upgrade to OpenType versions.
Zoranj

Post by Zoranj »

Billy is on the money.
Old Postscript fonts will be corrupted as they are not cross platform.
I've gotten around this limitation by buying TransType (font converter) and converting all our old PostScript fonts to Open Type.
All fonts we have are now cross platform and no issues.
dfsocha

Post by dfsocha »

Well crap... The problem is that the files come in from the customer packaged up and are being pushed through an automated workflow. Your explanation makes complete sense as to why I couldn't open them properly on Windows. Thank you for the help!
Zoranj

Re: [SOLVED] Unzipping files zipped on a Mac

Post by Zoranj »

To work around it, setup Switch on Mac instead of Windows.