Need advice on pdf with bookmarks creation

ThierryL

Need advice on pdf with bookmarks creation

Post by ThierryL »

Dear Enfocus Community,

I work in the localization industry, this is my first post here. Our Switch server automates many PDF creation processes for many accounts, each with their own print requirements. I'm being asked to look into creating PDF with bookmarks, with custom configurations based on Word styles. So far, no account needed bookmarks, so I'm not sure how to go about it.

Client A wants styles "Head Warning" and "Head Disclaimers" to be level 1 bookmarks and nothing else.
Client B wants styles "Topic Head Main1" and "Topic Head Main2" to be level 1 bookmarks and nothing else.

If you use the PDFMaker in Word the output is quite different from the desired output. Word just replicates its navigation tree. I think normally the PDF we deliver are created manually by the DTP teams, I presume they have to go into PDFMaker each time to change the settings. There may not be a way to automate this on Switch. Also I don't want my other flows to start outputting bookmarks.

I thought of using the VBA code "ConvertToPDFWithLinks()" included with the Adobe SDK, but 1) it doesnt work so far, and 2) the "addbookmark" method is a boolean, it wouldnt allow me to specify styles. If I start generating bookmarks with the Word configurator output, then there is no Action list that can remove them for all other accounts that don't need them.

I'm not sure if I should dig into VBA more, or use the Acrobat configurator, or maybe try to find some Python library?

If anyone has a recommendations I would greatly appreciate it,

Thierry
Switch - Latest
PS pro & server - Latest
Adobe CC - Latest
Malcolm Mackenzie

Re: Need advice on pdf with bookmarks creation

Post by Malcolm Mackenzie »

Not sure but maybe PDFTK will do what you want.
https://www.pdflabs.com/tools/pdftk-server/
Runs from CLI and Execute Command.
3f8h.net

Re: Need advice on pdf with bookmarks creation

Post by 3f8h.net »

I have done this already using callas pdfToolbox.
--
Sebastian Nafroth +++ 3f8h.net / electronic publishing

3f8h.net offers professional services and products for the graphic arts
industry.

contact details: http://www.3f8h.net/kontakt