Looking to see if Switch is right for us

jugganaut

Post by jugganaut »

Currently, we have an InDesign / Applescript workflow to process print orders, which works great but we'd like to extend the capabilities of it - I'm hoping that Switch can help us do that.

Our currently workflow: Orders come in form the interwebs, print files are uploaded through our website and save on server in directories that are named the same as the order number. The filenames have prefixes (SKUs) that determine what options were selected from the customer. Things like size, lamination, mounting, border, etc. Our script is essentially a Folder Action Script, so we dump all of the downloaded "folders" with images inside into it, and it places the images into an InDesign template, rotates if necessary, scales proportionately to fit the image box, puts the order number (Folder Name) on the the back (page 2) and ultimately spits out a 2 page postscript file for every image. These are then sent to press.

This works fine, but what I'd like to do is have all these different SKU's (prefixes), there are about 6, separated and processed independently with a specific templates. This way, we can easily add new items / sizes / options without having to depend on IT to rewrite the script every time.

My first thought is to have Switch separate the different SKU items and have a Folder Action Script set up for each "branch" or flow, using a specific template. The obvious problem with that method that I see is InDesign trying to process 6 different Folder Actions / Applescripts at the same time, unless there's a way to release one Folder / Job at a time through Switch.

Or, is there a way to incorporate our already built applescript directly into Switch to allow Switch to control the processing? We still would need to have a unique script and template "combo" for each SKU.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
jan_suhr
Advanced member

Post by jan_suhr »

Yes, Switch is definitely the solution for you. It can solve all the questions you have and do it smart too.

You can connect Switch to your webportal and ordersystem so that Switch get information from there to know how to handle the files.

Many Switch users are using switch for the tasks you describe.

In some cases you could use your scripts but I think that Switch could do what you want without those scripts.

Make contact with an Enfocus represenative in your are for a 30 day demoinstallation and get help on how to set it up for you.

You will be amazed!

Jan
Jan Suhr
Color Consult AB
Sweden
=============
Check out my apps
tvahey

Post by tvahey »

Most likely you can use the scripts you've already written. There may be a couple of subtle changes needed to pass arguments from the InDesign Configurator to the script.

-Ted

Ted Vahey

All Systems Integration

400 West Cummings Park

Suite 3450

Woburn, MA 01801

(781) 935-3322

www.allsystems.com
jsmrekar

Post by jsmrekar »

Currently we're using Folder Actions to run the AppleScript.

Basically we have a digital pre-press. Switch monitors an email account and when files come in, they get processed according to many criteria (File Name, Extension, Attributes). If it's a CSV file, then it gets put through our AppleScript to create a Mail Merge.

I never saw a response if you had decided to choose switch or not.

Ted, Long time no talk. Hope all is well.