Linking Hot Folders for Flows

RunDontStop

Linking Hot Folders for Flows

Post by RunDontStop »

I am running Switch Spring 2022 on a Mac studio running OS X Monterey. I am having a strange issue from time to time.

I have a lot of flows – probably too many, and paring them down might help with this problem. But anyway – you can join flows together using hot folders. At the termination folder of flow 1 you preserve unique ID. Then flow 2 uses this same folder as a starting point.

I use this feature A LOT. Just to keep my flow canvas sizes easier to view. In some cases flows might contain more than one of these linking folders. For example - 2 different flows might have different termination folders, both preserving unique ID. Then both of these folders feed into the same shared subsequent flow. To keep it all straight I color these linking folders cyan so I can tell them apart from the default yellow automanaged folders. As a rule I keep these folders are on the local Switch Mac - they are not on network volumes.

What happens is, every now and then, one of these folders is filled with files in the Mac Finder. But in the context of Switch - no files are there.I click on the folder in the canvas, zero files.

The worst part is, I can't know this situation is happening. I'll become aware that something is wrong because I stop getting processed files. Then I have to search and find the problem folder.

If I try to stop the flow with the filled problem folder, I get a red X and Switch is not able to stop the flow. It's like it's confused, or stuck.

I force quit the server and restart the Mac to solve the problem. But - any idea on why this happens in the first place? Do I need to perform housekeeping? Do I need to make a habit of restarting the Mac every day? Or put the Mac on am automatic restart schedule?

Any suggestions are appreciated. Maybe somebody else has seen this same thing happen.
jan_suhr
Advanced member

Re: Linking Hot Folders for Flows

Post by jan_suhr »

You should use this app for connecting flows. It is better than actual folders on the.

https://www.enfocus.com/en/appstore/pro ... tch2switch
Jan Suhr
Color Consult AB
Sweden
=============
Check out my apps
magnussandstrom
Advanced member

Post by magnussandstrom »

I am using this app for similar tasks: https://www.enfocus.com/en/appstore/product/portals
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

magnussandstrom wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:17 am Re: Linking Hot Folders for Flows
I am using this app for similar tasks: https://www.enfocus.com/en/appstore/product/portals
The use of Portals is not advised anymore. It is no longer supported by the app creator and it is less reliable than the other solutions. Next to Switch2Switch there is also FlowLinks and Subflow.
magnussandstrom
Advanced member

Post by magnussandstrom »

freddyp wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:20 pm
magnussandstrom wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:17 am Re: Linking Hot Folders for Flows
The use of Portals is not advised anymore. It is no longer supported by the app creator and it is less reliable than the other solutions. Next to Switch2Switch there is also FlowLinks and Subflow.
Thanks for the info Freddy, I will change to other solutions. It would be great if there was a way for Enfocus (or app creators) to push information to app-users regarding to be depricated or obselete apps.
RunDontStop

Post by RunDontStop »

This is awesome. Thank you. I just started using Switch2Switch. It seems very simple. In what instances would the other solutions - SubFlow, or Flow Links, be preferred? It looks like Flow Links uses the channel property just like Switch2Switch.