Clip all objects outside trim or bleed area

drcpub

Clip all objects outside trim or bleed area

Post by drcpub »

Hi, So a die maker is telling me all the invisible lines are confusing his plotter. I can see all the lines he means, and maybe that it does to some degree. Other die makers do not complain about it. I am supplying images of an imposed file showing the problem he has and one page of a pdf that shows where these line originate. Indesign does not have an option to Clip exported pdf's. And the Actions I have tried supplied with pitstop do not seem to help. I'm sure I am not applying something correctly to fix this.
What i need to do is, either:
1) clip the individual pages so all invisible data outside of the trim box or bleed box is deleted or
2) remove all the invisible data from the imposed form as in the screen shot so that only the red line die line is left on the form. His plotter can follow that line.

Screenshots are the form sheet as is and in wireframe mode showing all the extra lines that need to be removed and the single page padf showing the extra lines outside of the page that is being transferred to the sheet.

An action would help in either case, if anyone has a remedy for this I would be very appreciative
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 6.06.55 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 6.06.55 PM.jpg (133.89 KiB) Viewed 1592 times
Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 6.07.29 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 6.07.29 PM.jpg (193.61 KiB) Viewed 1592 times
Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 6.08.17 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 6.08.17 PM.jpg (73.25 KiB) Viewed 1592 times
magnussandstrom
Advanced member

Re: Clip all objects outside trim or bleed area

Post by magnussandstrom »

IMHO your die file is fine. There will almost always be ”hidden” paths and boxes in a imposed PDF, this shouldn’t be a problem for the die guy. It sound like he’s using a very old software or something.
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

I agree with Magnus, but this being said, there are a number of things you can do:
Select objects that are completely clipped away
Remove selection
Select concealed objects
Remove selection

Alternatively and inversely, you could just select the dielines based on their spot color, reverse the selection with NOT and remove the selection.
drcpub

Post by drcpub »

I created what i believe you meant, please see screen shots, I did not have a any luck getting it to work, so maybe there is an element i am missing or that i did not convey initially. So i have included a link to the multi page pdf for your use. Was wondering if you could point me in the proper direction with regards to this pdf

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dbRYlK ... p=drivesdk
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 5.03.43 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 5.03.43 PM.jpg (36.59 KiB) Viewed 1557 times
Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 5.03.53 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 5.03.53 PM.jpg (23.23 KiB) Viewed 1557 times
drcpub

Post by drcpub »

Hi, I saw the link was not shared correctly, it is now, thanks
drcpub

Reposted link

Post by drcpub »

freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

The file you shared contains 1 path, the dieline (Select all and in the Inspector you see how many objects are selected and what the type is).

In other words, it is quite logical that the actions I suggested do nothing at all. It also means that the extra lines come from the imposition program and that you should remove them from the imposed result, not from the one-up.
drcpub

Post by drcpub »

Yes, that is the problem. On jobs that have many forms, or versions, sometimes those forms could number 10-20 or more forms, Only need to edit the front side of course but editing each form on it's own is time consuming. adds hours to it. I think completely removing the lines outside of the trim area would be the efficient way of handling it. If Indesign had a clipping feature, sort of how photoshop, clips if you tell it to, that would be ideal, but ID does not, M<y next thought was to do it in Pitstop. I'm not understanding why pitstop does not? the implied descriptions of the actions seem to suggest they would work as described.
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

Then please share the imposed result instead of the file before imposition.
drcpub

Post by drcpub »

Hi, here is the link for the imposition, simply looking at non wireframe mode, then wireframe Mode you will see many lines. While it would be nice to group all lines in to an action, the ones that are the problem, are double tabs on many of the pages. Turning off wireframe mode, reveals it as it should be. I understand that the die maker is using a ver of cad software or hardware that is old or not as functional as others but the problem still remains with me. Seeing the complexity of the lines on the imposed pages, is the reason why I thought adjusting the single multipage pdf prior to imposing would be the direction to look in. Your thoughts? And btw thanks very much for any help you offer. It is very appreciated. I'm limited and working alone most of the time.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GtktlA ... sp=sharing
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

Now we have the right file it is easy. There are two ways of looking at this.

The first one is: the lines (and text) you want to keep have the spot color name Die or the spot color name All, so the Action List is:

Select spot color - Die
Select spot color - All
OR
NOT
Remove selection

The second one is: the lines you do not want are clipping paths, so the Action List is:

Select clipping objects
Remove selection

The extra lines that cause the problem are clipping paths. Adding clipping paths is how imposition programs prevent objects that stick out from one instance from overlapping with the other instances on the same sheet. It is the normal thing to do. If nothing needs clipping then those paths have no influence on the final result.

It seems to confirm that your diemaker is using a software that is not capable of correctly processing clipping paths. I will refrain from further comments about this. You may consider it your problem, but it is not your fault.