Count active jobs in folder, if amount goes higher than x, send report

PdFUser5000

Count active jobs in folder, if amount goes higher than x, send report

Post by PdFUser5000 »

Is there a way to monitor the amount of job folders in a workflow folder? In my workflow sometimes queues appear and i would like to receive a notification if let's say, there are more than 20 job folders in it. Hot folder monitor kinda does something like this, but it just monitors if files are moving/not moving through it.

Or is this something that's achievable via scripting?
freddyp
Advanced member

Re: Count active jobs in folder, if amount goes higher than x, send report

Post by freddyp »

Can you explain a bit more what the reasoning behind this is? Is it because these jobs take up too much processing power and hold back other jobs? Is it because somebody probably made a mistake? Even if you receive a notification, what does that bring? You may not be there, or by the time you react the jobs have been processed. Perhaps there are other ways to solve your problem.
PdFUser5000

Post by PdFUser5000 »

When a queue appears, some jobs need to be rushed. Unless im watching the folder all the time, i have no information if there is a queue or not. I also can't set a priority when the jobs are inserted to the flow, because the urgency might not be needed at the point of input.
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

Do jobs arrive into the flow as individual files or as job folders?

If it is as job folders, then it is quite easy to send a message. There is a variable [Job.FileCount]. For an individual file it is of course 1, for a job folder it will have the count of all the files in the folder. You can build a condition that checks if the value of the variable is higher than a certain value.

If it is individual files, then you can try with "Assemble job". You could for example configure it to assemble "After N minutes" (e.g. 5 minutes). The result is a job folder with all the files that arrived in a period of 5 minutes after the first file arrived. You can then check if [Job.FileCount] is higher than a certain value and send a message. You can use "Ungroup job" to get all the files back out of the job folder.

The Switch 2022 Fall release has a feature to rush jobs. You can do that from the Portal. Watch the recording of the December workshop for more information on how to use that.