Switch2Switch or Flow Links?

magnussandstrom
Advanced member

Switch2Switch or Flow Links?

Post by magnussandstrom »

Hi, I'm setting up a new switch installation and will transfer all my flows from the old server to the new. While doing this I'm also doing some flow enhancements.

Many flows are connected with Switch2Switch. But I remember that someone in a switch webinar said that Flow Links is using a better way of doing this. Since there is no real release notes for the apps I cannot be sure if Switch2Switch also has updated to the newer technology or not.

Are Switch2Switch and Flow Links using the same technology for transfering switch jobs between flows or are there any difference?
mkayyyy

Re: Switch2Switch or Flow Links?

Post by mkayyyy »

afaik, Switch2Switch uses the Remote Processing API and Flow Links now uses the SendToChannel/SubscribeToChannel scripting methods introduced in Switch 2022 Fall.

If you're transferring jobs between flows on the same server it's more beneficial to use Flow Links with it now utilizing the SendToChannel/SubscribeToChannel scripting methods. Scripts/apps using these methods retain the unique name prefix added to the jobs therefore maintaining their processing priority.

Switch2Switch using the Remote Processing API will create a brand new job from the input jobs so a new unique name prefix will be added and new processing priority assigned.
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

I confirm what Matthew wrote.

Switch2Switch is the app bundle of choice for sending jobs from one Switch server to another, but not for jobs that are sent from one flow to another on the same server.

Note that Switch2Switch also has no support yet for JSON datasets because it it still legacy code. Porting it to Node.js requires an extension to the scripting API.

Should you still be using Portals, stop using it. It is no longer maintained and it is slower than the alternatives Flow Links and Subflow.
magnussandstrom
Advanced member

Post by magnussandstrom »

Thanks, I'll go with Subflow and Flow Links!