Check if PDF is damaged

magnussandstrom
Advanced member

Check if PDF is damaged

Post by magnussandstrom »

Hi, one of our customers recently started having trouble with generating their PDF files, and some files are corrupt.

The files is going to a fully automated order flow in our Switch. But when a damaged PDF arrives the files get stucked in the Pitstop Server process and wont release until you manually kill the process in windows. I've also tried using Fastlane but with the same result. I need to automaticaly check if the file is damaged or not to be able to send an email to our customer, but since the file gets stucked in the flow I cannot do this. Any suggestion how to solve this?

corrupt.png
corrupt.png (88.97 KiB) Viewed 1321 times
Last edited by magnussandstrom on Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rhd_ole

Re: Check if PDF i damaged

Post by rhd_ole »

magnussandstrom wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:24 pm Hi, one of our customers recently started having trouble with generating their PDF files, and some files are corrupt.

The files is going to a fully automated order flow in our Switch. But when a damaged PDF arrives the files get stucked in the Pitstop Server process and wont release until you manually kill the process in windows. I've also tried using Fastlane but with the same result. I need to automaticaly check if the file is damaged or not to be able to send an email to our customer, but since the file gets stucked in the flow I cannot do this. Any suggestion how to solve this?

corrupt.png

This is interesting since I was going to suggest using FastLane since that is how we do it currently since we ran into your issue with Pitstop Sever, same issue it would just break the PS app in switch.

Our flow is completely automated as well from submission to press.

For any non-readable or damaged PDFs, they fail to problem jobs and we use the fail message to notify the submitter of the issue. We switched to this when FastLane came out and haven't had issue.
Color Science & Workflow Automation
magnussandstrom
Advanced member

Re: Check if PDF i damaged

Interesting, could you give me a screenshot of your Fastlane settings?
rhd_ole

Re: Check if PDF is damaged

Post by rhd_ole »

Sure. They are really basic, only using the presets and traffic lights, although I don't think any file has ever went down the fail path just actually fails to problem jobs.

Here you go!
Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 5.49.52 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 5.49.52 AM.png (249.05 KiB) Viewed 1309 times
magnussandstrom
Advanced member

Thanks, what settings are you using in Switch Preferences > Error handling > Abort processes after (minutes) ?
rhd_ole

Post by rhd_ole »

It's just the default, 20min. These failures are about immediate, they don't hang out, just fail.
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

I submitted a feature request for the FastLane app to send the job along the error connection instead sending it to Problem jobs when the input file is not a valid PDF. The error connection is there and it makes for a nicer flow design.
rhd_ole

Post by rhd_ole »

freddyp wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:13 pm I submitted a feature request for the FastLane app to send the job along the error connection instead sending it to Problem jobs when the input file is not a valid PDF. The error connection is there and it makes for a nicer flow design.
I agree, I built the flow thinking it would use the error connections but I've yet to see one go down the fail path, so thanks for doing that.
magnussandstrom
Advanced member

Thanks Freddy!