Pack / Unpack Job Elements failing?

matt.baile

Pack / Unpack Job Elements failing?

Post by matt.baile »

I'm working on moving workflows from a server running SWITCH 17 update 2 to 2022 Fall. For the current server, we have a few flows that send and receive files using locations on our network so we have use the Pack and Unpack Job elements for quite a few years with good success. On the workflow sending the files out, we are packing the job and then sending to a network folder. the next flow that accepts the job starts with a Submit Hierarchy element and then flows to an Unpack Job element.

I'm now running some of the workflows that ingest a job using the Submit Hierarchy and Unpack Job elements, but am receiving error messages as data is not being ingested as it was previously. I'm guessing that this may be a difference in how the new version of SWITCH handles packed jobs and hierarchy, but I'm not sure how to handle. The first attached screenshot show the Packing of a job and sending it to a folder, the second screenshot shows where we're picking up the file with a Submit Hierarchy and then Unpacking, and the third screenshot shows an error downstream where we're trying to access data within the packed job, but you can see that it is no longer available.

Any input is appreciated.
1.png
1.png (8.78 KiB) Viewed 474 times
2.png
2.png (14.79 KiB) Viewed 474 times
3.png
3.png (172.03 KiB) Viewed 474 times
matt.baile

Re: Pack / Unpack Job Elements failing?

Post by matt.baile »

After further testing, it seems the issue is the the Unpack Job element in SWITCH 2022 Fall is not unzipping/unarchiving the incoming Packed Job. I placed an Unarchive element after the Unpack Job element, but this also failed to Unarchive/Unzip the package. I then placed a Uncompress(legacy" element after the Unpack Job element and this seems to work, at least initially - but I'm still unsure why both the Unpack Job and Unarchive Job elements both fail to unzip the incoming packed job.
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

Can you please share one of the packed jobs?
rhd_ole

Post by rhd_ole »

I had this issue also and it was related to the dataset type with the job since it's passed via XML. Also if there is an invalid character in the dataset it will also fail.

We had to use an older version of the pack/unpack.
Color Science & Workflow Automation
matt.baile

Post by matt.baile »

I can try to pack a sample job for you freddyp - let me work on that.
rhd_ole wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:05 pm I had this issue also and it was related to the dataset type with the job since it's passed via XML. Also if there is an invalid character in the dataset it will also fail.

We had to use an older version of the pack/unpack.
Interesting - not sure how I can revert back to an older version of the element within switch 2022. I need to do some testing and see if the pack/unpack elements work nicely together if on the same version of switch - I'm hping that the issue is because I'm on version 17 on one server and version 22 on another. LIke I said, adding the Unarchive elment seems to get me where I need to be, but hopefully getting everything on the same version of switch will fix the issue as well - just not to that point yet.