Remap Pantone to CMYK Values

CruzinCooler

Remap Pantone to CMYK Values

Post by CruzinCooler »

I received a document consisting of two spot colors.
PANTONE 2766 U
PANTONE 3005 U
I need the PANTONE 2766 U converted to CMYK - C-74 M-67 Y-19 K-3
I need the PANTONE 3005 U converted to CMYK - C-83.74 M-40.84 Y-0 K-0
I go into Global Change and use "Remap Colors" > Remap > Pick Color > Document Spot Colors > and select PANTONE 3005 U
I go into Global Change and use "Remap Colors" > To > Color > Device CMYK > and plug in my values: C-83.74 M-40.84 Y-0 K-0
Hit Run and the image changes but not the line work
I keep getting results that sometimes just converts the line work (Type) or just converts the image but not both at the same time.
I also created an action that takes care of the line work and then does a spot to equivalent CMYK values but thats not honoring my PANTONE to CMYK values I plug in.
Very buggy.
Does anyone know of an alternate way to do the conversion so both get converted at the same time?
PPNINJA

Re: Remap Pantone to CMYK Values

Post by PPNINJA »

Maybe create an action instead of using global.
Are you able to upload file so i can test?
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

I suspect different combinations of objects with just a color in Separation color space and other objects in a DeviceN color space of which one or more of the separations are PANTONE possibly mixed with process colors.

Every spot color in a PDF must have an alternate color space. Perhaps the alternate color values are already the ones that are defined for those colors in which you can simply do a conversion to CMYK. Perhaps the correct values are in a different PANTONE library and you can change the spot colors to that library before converting to CMYK (search for "library" in the actions pane).

Very buggy? I do not think so, there must be an explanation. Without seeing the file I can only guess.
CruzinCooler

Post by CruzinCooler »

Hi freddyp,
The reason I say buggy is because I've run the action and it just converted the image and at other times it just converted the text.
When creating the action from a global change and saved as an action, it seems to just do the line work.
Also the size of this pdf is 2.5 mb. Too large to attach.
Also thank you for the heads in the "Library" action pane suggestion.I'll look into it.
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

Send it via Smash (fromsmash.com) to my mail address freddyp@enfocus.com then. There must be an explanation that is related to the file.
CruzinCooler

Post by CruzinCooler »

Sent and thank you for looking into this. I appreciate it.
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

As I suspected it is related to DeviceN. Remapping a spot color to a new spot color with a certain CMYK equivalent does not work when that spot color is part of a DeviceN.

You can use the following workaround. Create a new spot color in the color library with the desired CMYK equivalent. Call it PMS 2766 U for example. In the Action List you then remap a spot color to another spot color (PANTONE 2766 U -> PMS 2766 U). This also works for DeviceN. When you have remapped all the spot colors in this way: Convert to CMYK.

I submitted feature request to improve the behavior of Remap spot color.
CruzinCooler

Post by CruzinCooler »

Thank you for your help freddyp. I tried it today and seem to work as you predicted. I sent an email just to make sure I created it correctly and as predicted I did not. Thanks for steering me in the right direction during your busy schedule and everything is working as your email stated.