Inserting metadata into jobs

Printpark

Inserting metadata into jobs

Post by Printpark »

How do you guys go about inserting metadata for jobs?

Here we print jobs with multiple files in a single job, so grouping them and adding metadata is kinda troublesome.
I got the Client module so I could use Submit and Check points, but there is no way to change the form's UI and when we use multiple fields, it gets too crowded, so users get confused.

I was thinking of building a HTML Form to build something prettier and with some automations I can't do on Submit and Check Point, but it will take a long while, since I'm still learning web dev.
billy.olvestad

Re: Inserting metadata into jobs

Post by billy.olvestad »

Printpark wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:48 am How do you guys go about inserting metadata for jobs?

Here we print jobs with multiple files in a single job, so grouping them and adding metadata is kinda troublesome.
I got the Client module so I could use Submit and Check points, but there is no way to change the form's UI and when we use multiple fields, it gets too crowded, so users get confused.

I was thinking of building a HTML Form to build something prettier and with some automations I can't do on Submit and Check Point, but it will take a long while, since I'm still learning web dev.
How do you want to present the fields, and what fields are we talking about?
You can group fields together so that if you choose one value, a number of other fields show up, so you don't have to have all the fields visible from the beginning, but it depends on the logic of the selections that you want.
Printpark

Post by Printpark »

billy.olvestad wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:02 pm How do you want to present the fields, and what fields are we talking about?
You can group fields together so that if you choose one value, a number of other fields show up, so you don't have to have all the fields visible from the beginning, but it depends on the logic of the selections that you want.
I work in a Book Print Shop, so the form fields would represent book finishings, spine, flaps, and everything related to book production. I'm aware that we can group fields in other fields, but sometimes I think it makes the form more confusing for the end user.

This is a form I was building for inputting tarot jobs. There are more fields hidden bellow and some that are hidden in other field groups.
As of currently there is no way of grouping fields without using another field, child fields are not indented so there's no visual separation either.
billy.olvestad

Post by billy.olvestad »

That is correct. Child fields are not indented, and the interface does not indicate how the fields are related, that is something Enfocus definitely can improve, including ways to insert separators.

The only way I have been able to insert separators is to insert enough underscores in the description of the form field to make up a number of rows.
Not the prettiest solution, but the only one I have come up with. Even support for html (like br-tags for instance) in the description would have solved the problem with separation.

Other than that, I try to make the form with a logic that makes as many nested form fields as I can, so that the form is clean from the beginning at least, and then expands when needed.

I would definitely like some more options here as well.

I think we should all report this to Enfocus as a feature request though. They are normally happy to add feature requests, and this seems like something more would be interested in, so the more of us that makes a feature request, the more likely it is to change.
jan_suhr
Advanced member

Post by jan_suhr »

You can build forms with PHP and then from that PHP send a webhook with the info to Switch.

So the Form in PHP can be very flexible and from the form you create an XML that you send to a webhook in Switch.
I have built several like that. if there is file upload involved it is easier to handle that in the PHP form too and upload the jobfile to the webserver hosting the PHP, then you have the path to the file in the XML so Switch can upload it to the flow. Then when the file has arrived you can call a PHP that deletes the file on the webserver to clear the space.
Jan Suhr
Color Consult AB
Sweden
=============
Check out my apps
Soul Forge

Post by Soul Forge »

Hello guys, Vitor from Printpark here.
I'll start using my personal account for posting on the forums.
jan_suhr wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:17 pm You can build forms with PHP and then from that PHP send a webhook with the info to Switch.

So the Form in PHP can be very flexible and from the form you create an XML that you send to a webhook in Switch.
I have built several like that. if there is file upload involved it is easier to handle that in the PHP form too and upload the jobfile to the webserver hosting the PHP, then you have the path to the file in the XML so Switch can upload it to the flow. Then when the file has arrived you can call a PHP that deletes the file on the webserver to clear the space.
I'll take a look into PHP. I'm currently learning JS, since Switch uses it for scripting and it's what I must use in uni as well. But in pure honesty I really dislike JS so far. It's easy to start learning but the whole language seems like a mess with all that "Don't break the web" rule. No wonder it has so many frameworks to fix it.

I guess making an internal web app would be the best option for now!
Thank you guys for sharing your opinions!