Better way of identifying job groups?

Soul Forge

Better way of identifying job groups?

Post by Soul Forge »

I was wondering if there is a better way to identify job groups.

We face two situations where job groups are necessary:
  • To identify and share metadata between multiple book components, like cover and body that need some information overlap.
  • To identify a list of files that need to be printed.
I usually identify them using the JOB ID/BOOK TITLE and the NUMBER OF COMPONENTS. But it has it's flaws.
  • If one of the jobs fail during processing, there's no way of automatically knowing if, where and when it happened. I try to go around that by using the app WAIT FOR JOB GROUPS multiple times in the flow.
  • Since Global Variables don't come as a default feature, it's difficult to share the information between files. I go around that using ASSEMBLE JOB FOLDER multiple times in the flows.
I tried using two of the counter apps that are available on the appstore. But the one that helped me is slowing my flows BY A LOT, since it can only process one job at a time. Both also make me check the information multiple times in the flow.
jan_suhr
Advanced member

Re: Better way of identifying job groups?

Post by jan_suhr »

To catch error, or other, messages from specific points in a flow you can use the app Get Switch log messages.
With that one you can specify one element in a flow and filter out its messages and it will create a Private Data with the message generated in Switch.

https://www.enfocus.com/en/appstore/pro ... g-messages
Jan Suhr
Color Consult AB
Sweden
=============
Check out my apps
Soul Forge

Re: Better way of identifying job groups?

Post by Soul Forge »

Well I've been trying to make that work but it's not that helpful since the files keep waiting in the hold job groups and assemble jobs.
I think the only way that could work is having a way to recieve webhook signals in those apps or usign a database value as condition for the job to complete or fail.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to make an app that can recieve webhooks and have the wait functionality, nor to work with databases yet. Guess I'll take it as a challenge and learn those things.

Thanks for your help anyways!