Unsigned Certified PDF

edupartner

Unsigned Certified PDF

Post by edupartner »

Hi all

We currently certify PDFs by hand through PitStop Pro but we'd like to do that with PitStop Server. Our current issue is the fact that PitStop Server seems to sign a Certified PDF no matter what and we need the PDFs unsigned. Certified but unsigned. We implemented the changes from this https://enfocus.my.site.com/customers/s ... uage=en_US but it now just throws an invalid signature. Is there a way to prevent PitStop Server from signing the PDF at all?
loicaigon
Advanced member

Re: Unsigned Certified PDF

Post by loicaigon »

Hi,

I find it a bit strange that you want the PDF to be certified but not signed because they kind of come altogether. Once signed, this is where you get the highest level of trustability in the file.

Why is that that you can not sign in PitStop Pro. Well, in PitStop Pro, you can sign the certified PDF, it just a two times process. First you "certify" using the "Certified PDF" panel. And when it's necessary, you can apply the signature (See Enfocus Certified/Sign and Save).

In PitStop Server, this is an unique process (or shall I say the file is processed only once). So it's signed immediatly.
So there is nothing wrong conceptually speaking. A certified PDF should be signed to be considered fully "certified".

Feel free to provide more details why is it important those files are not signed for you.
edupartner

Post by edupartner »

Hi Loïc

We need the files unsigned because sometimes our printer sometimes has to make changes in the PDFs. I'm aware that that's not an ideal process. Currently we use the Certified PDF workflow as a way to prove, mainly for internal reasons, that the PDF has indeed been preflighted with a certain profile.
loicaigon
Advanced member

Post by loicaigon »

The Printer can still do some modifications. That would simply add another session to the document history and you would both you and the printer a strong tracking of the document.