Creating PDFs from Indesign

McCannManchester

Post by McCannManchester »

Hi Just looking for some advice and to see if anybody has experienced the same problem.

I’m looking to batch produce a lot of PDFs from Indesign so I created a simple workflow to test the quality before getting to involved with preflight and sorting the PDFs.

The input folder is on a volume where all Indesign docs and links are saved this partition is mapped on the Switch box.

A copy of an Indesign file is dropped onto the hot folder, using the Indesign configurator in Switch the file opens and is saved as a PDF with the setting set to high quality. The resulting PDF looks as though its low resolution and the links are missing (really bad quality images).

To see if the indesign file is seeing all the links i’ve opened the said file on the Switch box and all links are ok, I’ve also exported a PDF direct from Indesign to check everything is good and this works the resulting PDF is High Quality.

So my problem is why, is it that the configurator isn’t actually exporting a PDF but just making a PDF with just the previews and not the links?
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

As the Indesign file moves through the flow the links are probably not valid anymore, certainly not when the paths are relative. The safest method is to use an Indesign package (a folder with all resources in subfolders). Switch recognizes the folder as an Indesign package and passes it to Indesign, and all will be well.

Freddy
McCannManchester

Post by McCannManchester »

Hi Freddy thanks for the reply would it be possible to just open a doc then run a script instead of using the configurator 'save as pdf'? would the script below work.

Also the script may need to change slightly 'app.documents.add()' creates a new doc even if a file is open what would it change to?

main();

function main(){

mySetup();

mySnippet();

myTeardown();

}

//

function mySetup(){

app.documents.add();

}

//

//

function mySnippet(){

//

//Exports a document to a PDF file.

//Assumes you have a document open.

var myDocument = app.documents.item(0);

//The document.export parameters are:

//Format as (use either the ExportFormat.pdfType enumeration

//or the string "Adobe PDF")

//To as File

//ShowingOptions as boolean (setting this option to true displays the

//PDF Export dialog box)

//Using as PDF export preset (or a string that is the name of a

//PDF export preset)

//You'll have to fill in a valid file path for your system.

myDocument.exportFile(

ExportFormat.pdfType,

File(Folder.desktop + "/ExportPDF.pdf"),

false

);

//

}

//

//

function myTeardown(){

}

//
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

The script would not work because it does not use the variables that you have to use for Indesign scripts. Look at the documentation (do a search on "Javascript for applications") to see what variables you have to use.

Even when the script is working it is not going to help you, because I am practically certain that the reason you have low resolution images is because the links are broken. What could help is a script for the "Command" property that relinks the images, but when you work with packages you do not have that issue.

Freddy