Submission point with no files to provide

loicaigon
Advanced member

Submission point with no files to provide

Post by loicaigon »

Hi,

Is there any chance one can use SwitchClient without supplying a file/folder ? I am interested in using SWC to get user metadata but i only need the metadata.The needs are internal and I am not sure that deploying webservices would be a good fit for that client.

Thanks in advance,

Loic
gabrielp
Advanced member

Re: Submission point with no files to provide

Post by gabrielp »

Could you provide an example of the data you're looking for and why you need it?
Free Switch scripts: open-automation @ GitHub
Free Switch apps: open-automation @ Enfocus appstore

Want to hire me? I'm looking for my next gig. Contact me on LinkedIn or via email.
loicaigon
Advanced member

Post by loicaigon »

Hi,

Well, the whole project stands on using Switch and InDesign, mostly work on some InDesign template user would select within a list. So the metadata would be "user wants template A and this text has to placed" then InDesign would be called and finally some PDF would be produced and return to the user.

I understand Switch client wasn't designed that way (file/folder has to be supplied) and that other solutions may be a better fit. But as I said, I just wanted to offer a "cheaper" approach with this client and I thought it may be worth to question SwitchClient capabilities.

Hope that helps understanding,

Loic
gabrielp
Advanced member

Post by gabrielp »

I think you will need a file but no reason you couldn't get creative.

You could use a submit point, allowing the user to drop in any file they want, then inject it's metadata into a token (removing whatever they dropped for a text file with metadata) then have InDesign use the metadata from the submit point to build a file they could then view in a checkpoint.

Want to hire me? I'm looking for my next gig. Contact me on LinkedIn or via email.
loicaigon
Advanced member

Post by loicaigon »

Hi,

Yeah That'"s what I thought too but it may not be obvious for users to submit any file as this file would be dropped anyway. I think I am just asking something SWC wasn't designed for :)

Thanks anyway,

Loic
gabrielp
Advanced member

Post by gabrielp »

loicaigon wrote:Hi,

Yeah That'"s what I thought too but it may not be obvious for users to submit any file as this file would be dropped anyway. I think I am just asking something SWC wasn't designed for :)

Thanks anyway,

Loic
Can you program a web form that allows users to enter the text? The web form could easily create a text file with the text as a string inside. They could start at the web form, then move to the checkpoint.

loicaigon
Advanced member

Post by loicaigon »

Hello,

Thanks for your interest. Indeed it will be something like that. SWC was interesting in the sense it could quickly set ;)

I wanted to double check that SWC wasn' appropriate here.

Thanks again,

Loic
ArielRauch
Advanced member

Post by ArielRauch »

If you want to do something really ugly you can use a Checkpoint instead of Submit point and define a loop where files (dummy ones) are entering the Checkpoint depending on how many people should use the flow. It will look like slots waiting to be used.

The Webform approach is definitely better ...
loicaigon
Advanced member

Post by loicaigon »

Hi Ariel,

Thanks a lot. I agree with the conclusion ;)