Unable to move asset file to asset location

LasseThid
Advanced member

Unable to move asset file to asset location

Post by LasseThid »

I'm working on a flow for our business card production and everything works just fine until I use the HP Digital Front End JDF Control (ver 1.5) to create a JDF file for the press. When the file reach the HP DFE JDF Control I get an error saying "Unable to move asset file to asset location".
At first I had the JDF Control set up to send the file to the RIP of the press, but I then changed it to a local folder on the computers desktop, but I still get the same error.

Any ideas what might cause this problem?
Enfocus Switch, Enfocus PitStop Server, Enfocus PDF Review, HP SmartStream& Kodak Prinergy with RBA
Offset 72x102, Offset Large Format, Digital Large Format and Digital print.
gabrielp
Advanced member

Re: Unable to move asset file to asset location

Post by gabrielp »

I remember this error. I think it has to do with the fact that the DFE needs the asset location when it later reads the JDF but Switch needs it to so it will place the document there. So both Switch and the DFE need access to the asset location from the same network path. The easiest way to do this (I think) is to use a path on the DFE and make sure Switch has the DFE's volumes mounted and can write to that location.

Here's the tool tip info:

Here is how mine is configured:

This is kinda confusing because I'm using Switch on a mac but the path it's looking for is what Windows would use. I don't get it but it works...

Hope this helps.
Free Switch scripts: open-automation @ GitHub
Free Switch apps: open-automation @ Enfocus appstore

Want to hire me? I'm looking for my next gig. Contact me on LinkedIn or via email.
gabrielp
Advanced member

Post by gabrielp »

Also, do yourself a favor and append a random number to the asset before you pass it into the configurator. The JDF configurator will not overwrite an existing asset so if you reprint a job with the same file name, it will land down at the press and appear to be OK but it will point to an outdated asset. Really annoying issue. By appending a small random number (I used a microsecond timestamp or something), it will have a different filename each time.

Want to hire me? I'm looking for my next gig. Contact me on LinkedIn or via email.
gabrielp
Advanced member

Post by gabrielp »

Last thing...

The way you're designing your flow seems like if you ever add different variations of specs, you'd have to add complete new tracks. This means new imposition configurators, new JDF configurators, etc.. Seems fine now but will quickly get out of hand, as we would slowly add more products that had slightly different specs. It worked fine when we started but became unsustainable.

Check out what mine looked like after a year or so:

With the help of some private data scripts, I can build some logic to write my values (like imposition template, duplexing, etc...) to private data. Then I can feed those private data values into a single configurator, turning it into this:

Hard to picture so the way I would visualize it is the first flow is like going hunting with 15 different guns, strapped to your back, in a wheelbarrow. The second flow, is like going hunting with a single gun but bringing 15 different types of ammo in a single small pouch that works just as well. Something to think about.

LasseThid
Advanced member

Post by LasseThid »

gabrielp wrote:I remember this error. I think it has to do with the fact that the DFE needs the asset location when it later reads the JDF but Switch needs it to so it will place the document there. So both Switch and the DFE need access to the asset location from the same network path. The easiest way to do this (I think) is to use a path on the DFE and make sure Switch has the DFE's volumes mounted and can write to that location.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Gabriel. Got it working now!

When I clicked my way on to the server and the correct folder the path was Volumes/Jobs/JDF, but I changed that to \\HPRO1-SM1\Jobs\JDF and it worked right away. *thumbsup*

Your new script looks way better.
Thanks for the tip about using Private Data. I never thought about it and I didn't see that you can use variables for Duplexing, thanks for the heads up, but now I have some ideas on how to re-write this flow that I inherited from my predecessor.
Enfocus Switch, Enfocus PitStop Server, Enfocus PDF Review, HP SmartStream& Kodak Prinergy with RBA
lombert

Post by lombert »

LasseThid wrote:
gabrielp wrote:I remember this error. I think it has to do with the fact that the DFE needs the asset location when it later reads the JDF but Switch needs it to so it will place the document there. So both Switch and the DFE need access to the asset location from the same network path. The easiest way to do this (I think) is to use a path on the DFE and make sure Switch has the DFE's volumes mounted and can write to that location.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Gabriel. Got it working now!

When I clicked my way on to the server and the correct folder the path was Volumes/Jobs/JDF, but I changed that to \\HPRO1-SM1\Jobs\JDF and it worked right away. *thumbsup*
I don't think you should put the asset-file in to the actual jdf-folder. Make a folder outside the jdf-folder, and then put the link to this folder. See Gabriels first answer, he calls it "\PageDNA". I call it "\jdf-asset".
Between jobs!
LasseThid
Advanced member

Post by LasseThid »

OK, I can do that.
But why shouldn't I put it in the JDF-folder?

I have barely seen the Indigo presses, so my knowledge about how to work with them is virtually non-existant... :lol:
lombert

Post by lombert »

I don't knew why, it's a feeling. :)

The JDF-folder is a hotfolder that expect jdf-files, and start process them direct. If there is some other files the server maybe some confuse and start report some error and then moves them away. Then the jdf can't find the asset..
Between jobs!
lombert

Post by lombert »

HP has change the OutputFormat in the new configurator. It has 3 option now and I can't get it to work.

Asset File Location
Asset Location URL
File Move Method

The first I have "\\hpro1-sm1\Jobs\jdf_assets"
But I can't understand what the second should be.

Any suggestion?
Between jobs!
gabrielp
Advanced member

Post by gabrielp »

I dealt with this but I ended up downgrading back to the older version that didn't have this. I did figure this out. One of the paths is where Switch actually moves the asset to (which the Switch Server can write to). The other path is where the DFE can access the asset, which is passed along in the JDF.

sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

Using it succesful for a couple of months now with the next settings.
Input is copied by the JDF configurator to the asset location.

This setting;

Results in this JDF entry;

Code: Select all

<RunList ID="RunList_1" Status="Available" Class="Parameter">
            <LayoutElement>
               <FileSpec MimeType="application/pdf" URL="FILE://hppro1-sm1/jobs/Switch/Asset/1514467_21102015-162319860.pdf"/>
            </LayoutElement>
      </RunList>
Your DFE needs access to the asset location to download it.

So don't use the Asset Location URL, that way the configurator will append the input job name to the Asset File Location and use this as the download URL.
lombert

Post by lombert »

I'v got this error:

Error: Configurator requires an Asset Location URL to be defined on Mac OS.
Warning: Job 'XXXX XXXXX XXXX.pdf' was already failed; can't send failed job
Error: Job '_3DITV_XXXX XXXXX XXXX.pdf' was moved from folder 'Folder 55' to the problem jobs folder. Reason: see previous log message(s)

I have the same settings as shown in the picture from sander..

And in the error mail it says this:
22.10.2015 09:16:02.157 error HP Digital Front End JDF Control
Message: Configurator requires an Asset Location URL to be defined on Mac OS.
Between jobs!
sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

Hm, first difference I see is that you are using Mac OS where I'm running on Windows Server 2012 R2.

I tried with the Asset Location URL, and noticed it overrules the Asset File Location.

Result:

<LayoutElement>
 <FileSpec MimeType="application/pdf" URL="test.pdf"/>
</LayoutElement>
So it looks like the Asset File Location is just the copy location, and on Windows the URL is added automaticly.
To create a correct JDF with the Asset Location URL option, I just found this gives me the same JDF as my former settings.
Multi-line text with variables defined: FILE://hppro1-sm1/jobs/Switch/Asset/[Job.Name]

Result:

<LayoutElement>
 <FileSpec MimeType="application/pdf" URL="FILE://hppro1-sm1/jobs/Switch/Asset/1514596_22102015-093712034.pdf"/>
</LayoutElement>
Hope it helps!
lombert

Post by lombert »

Thanks.

It worked (almost).. :)

The jdf-file continue throw the flow and gets to the JDF-file. But it will not put the pdf in the assets folder..

I have the Jobs-share connected in the finder so Switch can find it, and it has worked before..

-- Some time later --

Now I tried some more and if I make the "Asset File Location" to a Mac OS type "/Volums/Jobs/jdf_assets" it puts the file there. And the pdf-file goes to the JDF-folder.
Then it still gets in the JDF-error folder put that I think is the server needs a restart. I will test that in the lunch-break.
Between jobs!
LasseThid
Advanced member

Post by LasseThid »

Sorry for not visiting the forums for a while.
I hope you have managed to solve your issues lombert, if not here's a screenshot of how I have it set up.