Moving folders with Switch

LasseThid
Advanced member

Moving folders with Switch

Post by LasseThid »

I have a customer who uploads folders containing two pdf files, two text files and an xml file to our ftp-server.

I need to move the entire folder from the ftp-server to our file-server and delete the folder from the ftp-server.
I then need to make a copy of the folder and place it in an archive for three weeks and also send it to the Indigo rip.

At first I just set up a series of folders with different properties, i.e.

FTP -> Temp (remove originals)
Temp -> Archive and Indigo (remove originals)
Archive -> Trash (remove after three weeks)

but this doesn't work for some reason, so instead of folders I used Submit hierarchy and Archive Hierarchy, but it still doesn't work.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this to work?

I guess if I could pack each folder while keeping the folder name I could just unpack the folder before sending it to the Indigo rip, but I haven't looked at the pack function yet, so I'm not sure if that would work.
Enfocus Switch, Enfocus PitStop Server, Enfocus PDF Review, HP SmartStream& Kodak Prinergy with RBA
Offset 72x102, Offset Large Format, Digital Large Format and Digital print.
gabrielp
Advanced member

Re: Moving folders with Switch

Post by gabrielp »

Hey man,
If I'm not mistaken, I believe the FTP receive only works on files, not folders. Meaning, if your customer is uploading new folders as jobs, the FTP Receive can be setup to download the files within those but not get the actual folder itself. So unless I'm mistaken, that's going to be a pain for you. Any way you could convince the customer to ZIP the folders and upload them as files?

Second, you can simply have the files go off into a folder that is behind a cyclical hold for 3 weeks, then go into the trash bin. A more elegant solution involves using Archive Hierarchy to archive the jobs wherever you want (network location, etc..) then in a separate path, bring all of the incoming files into an Inject, injecting from a dummy txt file. You can then hold those "token" files behind a Hold, then do another Inject after 3 weeks to pull the archives out of the repository. This is nice because if you need to access the backups, you can do so without having to maintain that _switchid_ on the filename.
Free Switch scripts: open-automation @ GitHub
Free Switch apps: open-automation @ Enfocus appstore

Want to hire me? I'm looking for my next gig. Contact me on LinkedIn or via email.
LasseThid
Advanced member

Post by LasseThid »

Hi Gabriel.

Yes, FTP Receive will not work either unless I tell it to go X folders deep and then it will only fetch the files, not the folders.
I have tried to connect to the FTP-server via afp and then simple use a folder to point to the folder the customer uploads to, but that doesn't work either.
Enfocus Switch, Enfocus PitStop Server, Enfocus PDF Review, HP SmartStream& Kodak Prinergy with RBA
sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

I might be reading it wrong, but downloading with FTP and preserve the folder tree can be done.

I tested with this tree on a FTP, and it downloads in the exact same folder\file tree as original on the FTP. It also deletes the folders on the FTP.
- folder1\folder1_file.pdf
- folder2\folder2_file.pdf
- folder3\folder3_file.pdf

See folder 69 in this screen, exact folder tree was on FTP before (explorer windows on the right) Also the FTP receive settings I tested with are in it too.

Let me know if this is helping you,

Sander
LasseThid
Advanced member

Post by LasseThid »

Thanks Sander.

I've been really busy at work the last couple of weeks and haven't had time to check the forum in a while.
Thanks for posting the screenshot. I'll look in to it when I have time to do so and will post back later.

Lasse