Editing metadata

LasseThid
Advanced member

Editing metadata

Post by LasseThid »

I have a flow where I embed an xml file in a pdf using XML Pickup.
At a later stage I would like to change one parameter in the embedded xml data from one value to another. Is that possible? If so, how do I do it?
Thanks
Enfocus Switch, Enfocus PitStop Server, Enfocus PDF Review, HP SmartStream& Kodak Prinergy with RBA
Offset 72x102, Offset Large Format, Digital Large Format and Digital print.
gabrielp
Advanced member

Re: Editing metadata

Post by gabrielp »

I'm not sure about the answer to your question, but I'd also like to know.

But the way I have got around this problem is to not rely on datasets for flow logic in cases where the flow itself might want to change a value (or where the data is not static). In my flows, I'll use XML datasets but once I initially have the dataset, I'll set the values which dictate flow logic to private data. For example, I might take a CSR's email from /aob:manifest/aob:Order/aob:csr_email and set it to Job.PrivateData:Key="CSREmail". Then, maybe later on during the flow, I might have some logic which changes who the email notification goes to or who the CSR is, so I'll send the job into a private data configurator to overwrite PD key CSREmail, allowing me to send the file back into the flow to handle the job like normal, which simplifies the flow a bit.
Free Switch scripts: open-automation @ GitHub
Free Switch apps: open-automation @ Enfocus appstore

Want to hire me? I'm looking for my next gig. Contact me on LinkedIn or via email.
LasseThid
Advanced member

Post by LasseThid »

That sounds like it should work for me.

Thanks for the tip.

Edit: Works like a charm. Thanks a bunch Gabriel!
Enfocus Switch, Enfocus PitStop Server, Enfocus PDF Review, HP SmartStream& Kodak Prinergy with RBA
sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

Ha, how cool. I was just thinking about how to do this and the only way I could think of is using PrivateData.

So let's look at the forum for some tips, same question asked a day ago, and same thoughts :D

Before I go into using PrivateData, is any of you guys running Switch 13 yet? Can it be done easier with 13?
gabrielp
Advanced member

Post by gabrielp »

Here's a simple PD script that makes it easy to write values to private data from element properties: https://github.com/dominickp/SwitchWriteToPrivateData

It would be nice, since scripts like these are damn near essential to many workflows, if we all used and improved the same ones over time.

Want to hire me? I'm looking for my next gig. Contact me on LinkedIn or via email.
sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

I agree.
I have a couple of simple scripts which have been very useful, like you say damn essential. For sure a lot of Switch users have done the same scripting lately, it can't be otherwise.
I'm not a great scripter, but most of my scripts successful passed hundreds/thousands of jobs already haha.

More people interested? Maybe we can start easy and just simple list what we have (by name), to see if there's any more interest.

Edit: forgot to thank you for the PrivateData script, so easy and so extremely useful! Thank you!
ArielRauch
Advanced member

Post by ArielRauch »

you are all so lucky - on projects with Scripting module this is the way I handle things also.

I have initiated another thread which tries to accomplish same functionality without Scripting Module capabilities.

Any ideas?

Ariel
sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

When I started my job (with Switch) a year ago I was not well known with Javascript / Scripting Module.

Since I know other scripting languages I started easy and used Powershell via Execute Command.
You can pass arguments to it, that way we can update/create a XML file and use it in a XML pickup.

Export XML » Powershell pickup / change values » XML pickup.

It takes some time to create, but I guess we need to think in such a way if there's no Scripting Module.
ArielRauch
Advanced member

Post by ArielRauch »

Thank you, Sanders.

I think I will try to perl me out of the problem
LasseThid
Advanced member

Post by LasseThid »

I am using Switch 13 on our Developer Server and I'm going to upgrade our Production Server as soon as I see there are no big issues, so far it's only been a couple of minor things due to changes in the configurators.

Perhaps we should ask Enfocus for a Metadata editor?
Since we can embed an xml file via XML Pickup I guess it should be possible to edit the metadata as well.
sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

Sounds as feature request #1!

I'll ask Enfocus to see if there's anything in the pipeline.
gabrielp
Advanced member

Post by gabrielp »

LasseThid wrote:Perhaps we should ask Enfocus for a Metadata editor?
Since we can embed an xml file via XML Pickup I guess it should be possible to edit the metadata as well.
I would get behind that as well. Would also be nice if there was a quicker way to inspect metadata of a job, rather than stopping a flow and editing a connector.

sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

I don't stop my flows to check metadata.

Right click the jobs column » Show columns » Custom 1/5.

Next right click your column » Set column value » Define condition with variables, and go to your metadata as normal.

It's not the most elegant way, but at least you don't have to stop the flow. I use the custom columns a lot when building flows so I can quickly check what's going on with the metadata.
gabrielp
Advanced member

Post by gabrielp »

sander wrote:I don't stop my flows to check metadata.

Right click the jobs column » Show columns » Custom 1/5.
Very cool. Did not know you could do that. Thanks for sharing.