Email Notifications For Simple File Copy

rgpepper

Email Notifications For Simple File Copy

Post by rgpepper »

Among the humble things I'm using Switch for, one of them is handling a file transfer to a remote location with low bandwidth (allows me to delegate the task). The flow is just two folders - the local IN folder, and the folder on the remote share (typically a Windows server via SMB.) My quandary is this; I haven't found a clean way to send an email notification of success/fail after the copy. I think one result was the email step deleting the remote files, the other may have been a copy back down from the remote location? Since there's no "file copy" configurator, a simple folder doesn't have an error/success flag nor data/log options, so there's no clean way to do this that I can see. FTP, yes, that allows such notifications, but not this basic scenario. Perhaps this is a feature request for a rudimentary "File Copy" configurator so it can have success/fail notifications.
gabrielp
Advanced member

Re: Email Notifications For Simple File Copy

Post by gabrielp »

If you have scripting and a Mac for the server, you can give this a shot: https://github.com/dominickp/SwitchCopyJob

I have the same problem but only when we drop files to hotfolders and I haven't found a good solution. If you're not dropping to a hotfolder (meaning the file will be there for a while) you could inject it to see if it is still there before sending the email, but that might be overkill.
Free Switch scripts: open-automation @ GitHub
Free Switch apps: open-automation @ Enfocus appstore

Want to hire me? I'm looking for my next gig. Contact me on LinkedIn or via email.