Web Services vs. Database

strido

Web Services vs. Database

Post by strido »

I'd like to learn more about the key differences between the Web Services and Database modules. We have a trial that we've yet to install, so I can't really say I've looked into them too deep. I've seen the Database module and it's impressive - are there any features that we would lose if we used only the Web Services?

I'm not much of in IT guy, so this could very well be a silly question. The IT folks I deal with intimate that the Web Services would be the best way to go, so we'll probably use that. I'd just like to know if we're losing anything.

Also, I couldn't dig out a video explaining the Web Services module on YouTube. Is there a video or a white paper discussing Web Services, specifically?
loicaigon
Advanced member

Re: Web Services vs. Database

Post by loicaigon »

Hi,

Webservices intend to allow someone to submit a file to a flow from a remote location through a http portal. That way a print company can design a customized form and receive files from customers. So if you don't need people to submit files from an external location through http, you don't need webservices.

The database module intends to communicate with a database, you got that part. So if you don't need to interact with a database, you don't need that neither.

But on the other hand, you can think of having both of them if you need to have your customers to submit files on line and store infos on a database.

HTH,
Loic
strido

Post by strido »

Perhaps Web Services in reference to Switch is a bit different than what IT is referring to. The differences as I understood it was that Web Services is less prone to communication issues like firewalls and such. Sounds like Web Services for Switch is more akin to a digital storefront?

What I really need from Web Services for Switch is an ability to use a database, to verify PDFs during preflight and for creating job tickets using the info from the database (page size, what printer to use, blah blah)

Can we access a database with only the Web Services module?
loicaigon
Advanced member

Post by loicaigon »

Can we access a database with only the Web Services module?
From the html form, you can probably reach the database through php/mysql and pass the data to the flow through the webservices module. However, if you need to let the database know that the job has been processed in Switch, you need the database module to communicate with the latter.

HTH
Loic