Add text from Switch variable to PDF

LasseThid
Advanced member

Add text from Switch variable to PDF

Post by LasseThid »

I'd like to add a text to a pdf, however, the text is stored as private data in Switch.
How can I add the private data to a variable set in order to use it in an action list, or is there another way of doing it?
Enfocus Switch, Enfocus PitStop Server, Enfocus PDF Review, HP SmartStream& Kodak Prinergy with RBA
Offset 72x102, Offset Large Format, Digital Large Format and Digital print.
r.zegwaard

Re: Add text from Switch variable to PDF

Post by r.zegwaard »

You can edit the variable-set from within Switch. When you do that, you can use a "single line with variables". This makes it possible to use the private-data.
To edit to edit the variable-set:
- select the variable-set in Switch
- in the popup, right-click the variable-set
- click "edit"
Attachments
screenshot.31.png
screenshot.31.png (15.76 KiB) Viewed 13310 times
LasseThid
Advanced member

Post by LasseThid »

Well, I have partly gotten it to work, but unfortunately the output is not what I want... :lol: :lol:

I have created a new variable set with one variable called ID with the readable name %ID%. I have exported this variable set and put it on the Switch server.
I created an action list which will add a text, but for some reason I can't choose the variable %ID% when I click on Variable in the Enfocus Action List Editor and if I type %ID% in the Text field that is what I get placed on the pdf, even though I've selected the Variable Set in Switch and edited the %ID% variable to be the Private Data I want placed on the pdf.

I have verified that I have enabled the new variable set in PitStop, but still I don't get the variables from that set when I click on Variable in the Action List Editor. Any ideas why, as I think this is the reason it's not working the way it's supposed to?
Enfocus Switch, Enfocus PitStop Server, Enfocus PDF Review, HP SmartStream& Kodak Prinergy with RBA
r.zegwaard

Post by r.zegwaard »

Is the type of the variable %ID% (eg text/length/...) the same as is required in the actionlist?
Pitstop is quite picky when it comes to variable-types... ;)
LasseThid
Advanced member

Post by LasseThid »

That was my intention and the reason I created my own variable set, however even with my variable set enabled in PitStop I am unable to choose variables from that variable set. I'm gonna look and see if I can find a variable set that is available on my mac and on the Switch server and try to modify one of those variables instead.

The Type is set to Constant and Text in the Variable Set, but in the Switch flow I change it to Text with variables and Text with the Variable Value set to the Private Data I want to place in the pdf.
Terkelsen
Advanced member

Post by Terkelsen »

Hi Lasse,

There is no reason why this shouldn't work. I've done this on several occasions also with costum made variable sets containing only one variable.

The problem is obviously that you are not able to select variables from the set you created. You must have Pitstop Server on the same computer as Switch, so is the variable set available in PitStop Server? If not try to import it to Pitstop Server.

After you have edited the variable set in Switch (to select the private data) if you open the variable set in PitStop Server the variable is marked with a red exclamation mark indicating that it can no longer be edited in Pitstop.
LasseThid
Advanced member

Post by LasseThid »

I have PitStop Server installed on the Switch server and I have selected the variable set in the PitStop configurator, so that shouldn't be the problem.
I'm leaning more towards the fact that I can't select the variable on my mac when I'm creating the PitStop Action List.
I don't understand why though as it shows up as enabled in PitStop.
Attachments
Skärmavbild 2018-06-22 kl. 19.13.28.jpg
Skärmavbild 2018-06-22 kl. 19.13.28.jpg (249.11 KiB) Viewed 13237 times
Terkelsen
Advanced member

Post by Terkelsen »

Ahh, you won't see the variable you created if you just click the button "Variable". That only shows the prebuilt variables. In the upper right corner of the dialog you should click on "Actions" and choose "Enable variable names".
The attachment Skærmbillede 2018-06-23 kl. 13.57.08.png is no longer available
When you have done that there is a new light blue ikon in the value field. Click that and select the variable set you created and then the variable you want to use.
Skærmbillede 2018-06-23 kl. 13.57.08.png
Skærmbillede 2018-06-23 kl. 13.57.08.png (73.63 KiB) Viewed 13215 times
LasseThid
Advanced member

Post by LasseThid »

Thanks Terkelsen.
I will give that a try!
neecerp

Post by neecerp »

Is it possible to reference external xml in a variable set in ACrobat?
For example we use Switch and we want to create a barcode to be placed on a pdf.
abailescollins
Advanced member

Post by abailescollins »

You can't do that in PitStop Pro in Acrobat, that will only take manually entered features.

You could do it with PitStop Server in Switch, then you can generate Bar Codes with data from all the normal Switch data sources.
Head of Product Management @ Ultimate
abc@imposition.com