Upgrading from Switch 13 r1 to 2018 - I'm worried - any tips?

cwswitch

Upgrading from Switch 13 r1 to 2018 - I'm worried - any tips?

Post by cwswitch »

This will be my first upgrade. Clearly we are a little out of date, being on 13 r1, I am now looking to upgrade to 2018.

I'm looking for any tips - or answers to the below if you have them - thanks.

Should I upgrade to 13 r2, or jump straight to 2018?

How long will an upgrade take (roughly)? I'm thinking I will need a half day or day outside of production time to do this.

I have 50 flows and 12 of them are mission critical to daily running of the company. What sorts of thing are most likely to give me problems?

My flows depend on Quite Hot, Pitstop, Scripts, and then the standard set of Switch tools.

I hear Pitstop and Switch had some issues for you guys who upgraded earlier. Can I leave Pitstop at 13 r2 or must I upgrade to 2018?
LasseThid
Advanced member

Re: Upgrading from Switch 13 r1 to 2018 - I'm worried - any tips?

Post by LasseThid »

I have upgraded from 13 u1 to 18 with no problems in that regard.

Upgrading PitStop Server to 2018 can be a big PITA depending on how your current setup is and how well documented your flows are. This due to the fact that PitStop Server handles action lists/preflight profiles a bit differently.

I had used Select from Folder and put all of my actions/preflights in a separate folder which meant that after the upgrade PitStop couldn't find and actions/preflights. I did however find a way to find out which action/preflight was linked to a specific configurator by selecting Define multi-line text with variables which showed me which action/preflight was used.

Also I imported all actions/preflights into PitStop Server 2018 and added them via Select many from Library... instead.

If you build a path to an action/preflight you used to have a path like /Users/Username...., but now you need to use //Users/username.

PitStop 2018 has some new features, but if you don't need them I think you can stay with 2013 for now.
Enfocus Switch, Enfocus PitStop Server, Enfocus PDF Review, HP SmartStream& Kodak Prinergy with RBA
Offset 72x102, Offset Large Format, Digital Large Format and Digital print.
cwswitch

Post by cwswitch »

Thanks for that. Very useful. I'd hate to be in that kind of mess during production time.

Should I aim to reference all actions and preflights from the "Select Many from Library" before upgrading Pitstop?
LasseThid
Advanced member

Post by LasseThid »

I think it may help to have all actions/preflight profiles imported to PitStop Server and selected from library before upgrade, but it may still be a problem. I had a bit of fun figuring out which action lists I had used in a particular configurator before I found part of the name by checking Define multi-line text with variables.
The best thing would most likely be to make a note of which action list/preflight profiles was used in each configurator before you upgrade PitStop Server though, as that may come in handy.
Other than this it should be smooth sailing... :lol:
Enfocus Switch, Enfocus PitStop Server, Enfocus PDF Review, HP SmartStream& Kodak Prinergy with RBA
Offset 72x102, Offset Large Format, Digital Large Format and Digital print.
cwswitch

Post by cwswitch »

Working out which is harder, fixing Pistop or writing my CV...