Find fonts only with visible characters

ccs717

Find fonts only with visible characters

Post by ccs717 »

Does anyone have a method for locating fonts by name that are only used for visible characters?

I'm using the Font Name feature in a Preflight Profile to flag as an error fonts that should not be used in a document. This is to help enforce brand guidelines. So for example, Arial should not appear in any PDF, but often sneaks in as spaces or other non-visible styling from Office documents. I have a Preflight Profile setup to flag as an error if Arial is in the PDF. However, if all those instances of Arial are such invisible characters/styling, I don't want PitStop to flag it as an error. Only if a visible character is in Arial, should an error be produced.
kitoy

Re: Find fonts only with visible characters

Post by kitoy »

Can you try using an action list with this format?

1. Select font Arial
2. Select gray fill or stroke color
3. AND
4. Log selection

Number 1, select the font you want to detect.
Number 2, tick both fill and stroke color and use gray options as a color space. Tick as well the "search in converted values of other color spaces" option. Set the percentage from 0 to 99. You can experiment this setup to achieve your goal.
Number 3 will select both conditions.
Number 4, you can choose the log type as an error and include your message in the text area.
Attachments
Image 001.jpg
Image 001.jpg (72.61 KiB) Viewed 5912 times
Image 002.jpg
Image 002.jpg (91.59 KiB) Viewed 5912 times
Image 003.jpg
Image 003.jpg (98.29 KiB) Viewed 5912 times
ccs717

Post by ccs717 »

Thanks for the suggestion. However, this solution still selects invisible characters - e.g. spaces
kitoy

Post by kitoy »

Sorry, I did not think about spaces. Anyway, I've made some few modifications on the action list to exclude spaces from the selection stack by using the Select text by key phrase. At first, it will deselect text lines with spaces so I have to split the text line, select the text and merge it again.

Here is how it looks:
Image 1.jpg
Image 1.jpg (68.25 KiB) Viewed 5881 times
I also included the action list for you. Hope it helps. ;)
Attachments
Select ArialMT font.zip
(1.93 KiB) Downloaded 555 times