Check if User Pass Protected for Opening

Arthur

Check if User Pass Protected for Opening

Post by Arthur »

Is there a way of checking with Pitstop if a PDF is protected with a password for opening ??
Not to modify, not to print or assemble etc. - but to OPEN a document, so that with no password it cannot even be read.
I could not find any relevant option with Pitstop.
Anyone knows anything ??
Any hints would be very much appreciated ...
LasseThid
Advanced member

Re: Check if User Pass Protected for Opening

Post by LasseThid »

A preflight profile that checks Document > Security usage > Any will give you an error if any security features, including password protection for opening the pdf, are used. I created a hotfolder, dropped a password protected file in the input folder and got a report in the Reports on error folder which says Unknown encryption password under Critical failures. Would that work for you?
Enfocus Switch, Enfocus PitStop Server, Enfocus PDF Review, HP SmartStream& Kodak Prinergy with RBA
Offset 72x102, Offset Large Format, Digital Large Format and Digital print.
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

Thx for this solution, but unfortunatelly it does not seem to be covering this case. What you say indeed detects security, but seemingly not this kind of security I am afraid. It detects protection for modification, printing, assemble, content copying etc. and indeed this password protection somehow falls in this group as well (although not directly recognised), but what I need is specifically this only option to be detected on its own. When I am to use it in Switch Flow, this then cannot include documents that are protected in any other way, as for those I have a way of dealing with them. yet Switch does not recognise Password protected for opening as a separate case. so this is not really going to work for me I guess.
Must say however that I could not get this kind of report stating Unknown Encryption. That then could be an option. I do not recall picking up ANY for the option, rather focused on more specific options under security tab.... Will investigate further.
LasseThid
Advanced member

Post by LasseThid »

If you are to use it in Switch, then you should be able to create a preflight report (report type XML) and use the XML to look for that error in order to route those files where you need them to go while the rest go on their own merry way... :lol:
Enfocus Switch, Enfocus PitStop Server, Enfocus PDF Review, HP SmartStream& Kodak Prinergy with RBA
LasseThid
Advanced member

Post by LasseThid »

If you are to use it in Switch, then you should be able to create a preflight report (report type XML) and use the XML to look for that error in order to route those files where you need them to go while the rest go on their own merry way... :lol:
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

True. Why did I not think about it... It was a long day and half of the night yesterday 🙄
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

True. Why did I not think about it... It was a long day and half of the night yesterday 🙄
LasseThid
Advanced member

Post by LasseThid »

Well... sometimes you don't see the trees because of the forrest... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

Only to keep you in the loop of this case I am working on here - PitStop Server indeed reports and sends the locked file to Original Docs on Error, but no document is processed even in the Processed Docs on Error. This is fine to the point you get a report, stating that "Unknown Encryption password" is encountered.
Switch is less forgiving and right away sends the job to Problem Jobs folder, thus no report is generated and following the solution by LasseThid, a respective information cannot be obtained, not allowing for further filtering on locked documents.
I would rather like to avoid engaging Pitstop Server Hotfolders in Switch Flow, relying purely on the Pitstop Server configurator and its ability to process and output information in the same manner as hotfolder based solution.
LasseThid
Advanced member

Post by LasseThid »

Arthur, it looks like you can route the files from the Problem jobs folder by simply doing an Include these jobs - Define condition with variables and then set Contition to Job > FailMessage - Contains - Unknown Encryption password ;)

Skärmavbild 2019-04-23 kl. 16.46.31.png
Skärmavbild 2019-04-23 kl. 16.46.31.png (73.67 KiB) Viewed 11540 times
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

Hi Lasse;
I know it can be done this way.
But again this is something I would like to avoid, as our flows are basically designed the way that there is no routing out of ProblemJobs. So when a file lands there its definite and no routing out is allowed.
But I guess this may be inevitable here :-/