Ungroup timeout

smages

Ungroup timeout

Post by smages »

Hi,

I want to handle different Jobs between 1000 and 5000 PDFs per Folder. In the flow the job should be ungrouped, the PDFs changed, afterwards regrouped and merged.

Now the problem is that the Ungroup-Module generates a timeout after about half an our and the job will be aborted.

Does anyone knows a workaround?

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards
Steffen
freddyp
Advanced member

Re: Ungroup timeout

Post by freddyp »

Are you saying that it takes more than 20 minutes to ungroup 5,000 files from a job folder? I find that hard to believe.

I can easily imagine, however, that it takes more than 20 minutes for all 5,000 files to be processed so they are ready to be assembled. And yes, "Assemble job" has a property "Orphan time-out" that is set to 15 minutes by default. Set that to a high enough value.
smages

Post by smages »

Hi Freddy,

thanks for the reply. I don´t have any experience with such jobs (I mean with more than 1000 PDFs). Unfortunately the process in this flow takes so long. I have attached an excerpt of the log with the start of the ungroup-process and the time-out.

I set the time-out of "Assemble job" to 120 minutes but this has no effect at all.

Hope this will help you.
Steffen
Attachments
log-excerpt.zip
(524 Bytes) Downloaded 509 times
Terkelsen
Advanced member

Post by Terkelsen »

If it is actually the Ungroup process that takes that long, you will need to change: Preferences -> Error handling -> Abort processes after (minutes)
smages

Post by smages »

Hi,

sorry to answer so late. I was a few days out of office. To change the time in Preferences -> Error handling has solved the problem. Thanks for your help!

Steffen
vernonvd

Post by vernonvd »

i am also experiencing a time-out on the Ungroup-job function. at the moment i am splitting a 500 page pdf into single pages, the Ungroup-job function take more than 30min and fails on time-out :o i know i can set the preferences for the time-out but is this normal?
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

Ungroup Job is not for splitting PDF on a per page basis...
To do that, you'd need to use - Split PDF.

Ungroup "extracts" individual files from a job folder, so that they retain hierarchy, but can be processed individually.
Unless I do not know about some extra functionality of Ungroup....
Zoranj

Post by Zoranj »

From my experience, Split and Merge PDF are the slowest configurators in Switch.
If you are dealing with large files in thousands of pages, you will be loosing your hair pretty soon, like me :)
For splitting PDF's my solution was to use Quite Hot imposing instead, it is at least 10 times faster in splitting PDF's than Switch Split PDF configurator.
I am still looking for good PDF merge alternative, I tried several commercial ones and mostly are either just as slow or error prone.

I did not run into issues with Ungroup configurator so far.
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

@Zoranj - for merging pdfs Apago had a soft which worked based on hotfolders.
We use PDF Combine Pro from the CLI. Straightforward server almost like app, without gui, that works OK ish...
Few hundred of pdfs totalling hundreds and most often thousands of pages it can process in just couple of minutes building complete bookmark tree (from the file names) and retaining existing bookmarks that go into it.
I bet there are other more sophisticated solutions... But bang for the buck, this does the job ;)
Zoranj

Post by Zoranj »

Thanks Arthur, but it appears PDF Merge is Mac only, unfortunately our Switch is on Windows server.
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

As far as I'm concerned the one I was talking about is actually windows only... :D
JimmyHartington
Advanced member

Post by JimmyHartington »

I have just noticed a slow ungroup on my system.
And it seems to be if my flow contains a submit point.
Then Switch generates a thumbnail for each new pdf-file and that is time consuming.
On my system (16 cores, 212 GB of RAM, SSD for Switch dataroot) it took about 40 minutes for 500 pdf-files.

I have contacted support about this.
JimmyHartington
Advanced member

Post by JimmyHartington »

@Zoranj for merging pdf-files I have used CPDF (https://community.coherentpdf.com) and PDFTK Server (https://www.pdflabs.com/tools/pdftk-server/). Both are available for Windows.