Passing Switch (XML) variables to PitStop Sever 11

Clive Andrews

Post by Clive Andrews »

What I need is the syntax to pass my variables from xml in place of the variable set (or do I keep the defined variable set - in my case 2 entries, Reference and Dedication)

I'm thinking it will be something like:

Reference=[Metadata.Text:Path="/jobInfo/Reference",Dataset="Xml",Model=XML],Dedication=[Metadata.Text:Path="/jobInfo/Dedication",Dataset="Xml",Model=XML]

I am on the right track here aren't I - it's just a matter of getting the syntax right and passing that in place of a variable set? I've read everything I can find about it, nothing is very clear...

Or - am I stuck with just using the variables to call different action lists...?
dkelly
TOP CONTRIBUTOR

Post by dkelly »

Clive, you are on the right course. Define a variable set in Switch that references the XML variables. Be careful with Number and Length types. Then create an Action in Pitstop (Acrobat) that references the variables. Finally, use that Action in Server.
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

Clive,

in your preflight profile you use two variables (Reference, Dedication). At the moment of execution PitStop Pro or PitStop Server or Switch will give those variables the correct values. To do that in Switch all you have to do is to edit the variable set in Switch. You have to pick "Select variable set" from the Variable set property and when you see the list double-click the variable set to edit it (or choose the Edit action from the wheel top right). This can be confusing, because there is a "Select variable set", but not "Edit variable set", but once you know that you can edit it from there that should not be a problem anymore.

The editing of the variables is just like in PitStop Pro, except that you have two additional options next to Constant and Rule-base: Text with variables and Script expression. In your case you would pick Text with variables and you use it in exactly the same way as you do in all other places where text with variables is being used, including the holding of a job to give you a sample job allowing you to create the location path by browsing through the XML structure.

Freddy
Clive Andrews

Post by Clive Andrews »

That's got it Freddy - I was using "Constant" as I was trying to edit the variable set in Acrobat - when I created the action list on my local PC (wish I could edit the remote pitstop server action list!) - once I had Text with Variables, I was away!

Thanks!