Preflight report, error + fix

RytisT

Preflight report, error + fix

Post by RytisT »

Hi. Is there a way in preflight report to fix the issue aswell as show the error for same issue?

Example. In my preflight report, I have selected to log as error if there is RGB objects aswell as convert them to CMYK. But what happens is that pitstop converts all RGB to CMYK and does not show error for it.

I tried making preflight without converting RGB to CMYK and adding extra action to preflight that would convert all RGB to CMYK, therefore making preflight to print error for RGB objects and extra action list would convert them to CMYK. But it seems that it doesn't work this way.

I hope it makes sense what I'm saying. Does anyone have any ideas how can I make this work? Thanks.
abailescollins
Advanced member

Re: Preflight report, error + fix

Post by abailescollins »

The thing to consider is that Fixes happen before Checks.
So as you say by the time the Check happens the issue is fixed.

The only way to do what you want is to have two passes of the software, firstly a check, and then a second pass for the fixes.
The only downside of this is that you have two preflight reports.

If you have Switch there is another approach by generating an XML report first to show the issues, and then fixing based on that report. but again it's multiple passes.
Head of Product Management @ Ultimate
abc@imposition.com
RytisT

Post by RytisT »

abailescollins wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:31 pm The thing to consider is that Fixes happen before Checks.
So as you say by the time the Check happens the issue is fixed.

The only way to do what you want is to have two passes of the software, firstly a check, and then a second pass for the fixes.
The only downside of this is that you have two preflight reports.

If you have Switch there is another approach by generating an XML report first to show the issues, and then fixing based on that report. but again it's multiple passes.
We do own switch, but I'd like to keep things simple here.
I'll probably do without a fix or think of something else. Thanks.
Malcolm Mackenzie

Post by Malcolm Mackenzie »

I've attached a Preflight that may do what you want.
Attachments
Report and fix RGB.ppp.zip
(2.46 KiB) Downloaded 543 times
bens
Advanced member

Post by bens »

If you're comfortable using Action Lists the action "Split action list" can be used: https://www.enfocus.com/manuals/Extra/A ... tinue.html

Put the check before the split, and the fix after.
RytisT

Post by RytisT »

Malcolm Mackenzie wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:04 am I've attached a Preflight that may do what you want.
Unfortunately, it does not :(
It only converts it to CMYK, no error message.
Thank you tho.
bens wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:33 am If you're comfortable using Action Lists the action "Split action list" can be used: https://www.enfocus.com/manuals/Extra/A ... tinue.html

Put the check before the split, and the fix after.

How would it work tho? I have read the manual but I'm still having a hard time understanding how would it work.
Malcolm Mackenzie

Yep, dumb of me there!

As you're doing the RGB to CMYK do you need the Error to advice someone?
This is where Switch kicks.
RytisT

Post by RytisT »

Malcolm Mackenzie wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:50 pm Yep, dumb of me there!

As you're doing the RGB to CMYK do you need the Error to advice someone?
This is where Switch kicks.
Yes, I want RGB converted to CMYK, but I also want job manager to know that there were RGB objects and colors will have been changed, so she/he can inform the client of color change, but in cases which colors are not important or clients don't care, they would just ignore the error and would have the file fixed for CMYK.
bens
Advanced member

Post by bens »

RytisT wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:02 pm How would it work tho? I have read the manual but I'm still having a hard time understanding how would it work.
Actually come to think of it, the split action is not even necessary. A Preflight Profile will run all fixes/changes before the checks, but in an Action List you control the order yourself. So just putting the check before the fix in your Action List is enough.

The split action is for multi-page documents. Normally every action in an Action List is executed first on page 1, and only when that page is completely processed, the complete Action List moves on to the second page. The split action changes that to have only part of the Action List run on the first page before moving on to the second page.
Malcolm Mackenzie

I think Switch is the best place to route the files according to your needs as PitStop as you've seen won't do it.
Do you have the Switch client.
Makes the data exchange easier.
german_raf

Post by german_raf »

RytisT wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:37 pm Example. In my preflight report, I have selected to log as error if there is RGB objects aswell as convert them to CMYK. But what happens is that pitstop converts all RGB to CMYK and does not show error for it.

I tried making preflight without converting RGB to CMYK and adding extra action to preflight that would convert all RGB to CMYK, therefore making preflight to print error for RGB objects and extra action list would convert them to CMYK. But it seems that it doesn't work this way.

I hope it makes sense what I'm saying. Does anyone have any ideas how can I make this work? Thanks.
Hi
you can try Action list:

Select all
Select images
Select by color space (choose: Devise RGB)
AND
AND
Check color type
(Attributes for Check color type: RGB color
must not be used for: images)

After starting the Action list you will receive a message (Enfocus Navigator) in which you will next:
Terkelsen
Advanced member

Post by Terkelsen »

I don't think it has to be that complicated. Just make an action list like this.

Select all
Check RGB color is not used for any object
Remap Color (make sure to remap both RGB Space, CalRGB Space and ICC tagged space to CMYK)

This will give you a report that logs the use of RGB as an error and the remapping as a fix
Skærmbillede 2019-07-30 kl. 12.16.54.png
Skærmbillede 2019-07-30 kl. 12.16.54.png (52.21 KiB) Viewed 13518 times