HP JDF Control - Unable to move asset to asset file Location

lombert

HP JDF Control - Unable to move asset to asset file Location

Post by lombert »

Sometimes I got the error, "Unable to move asset to asset file Location: /Volumes/Jobs/jdf_assets. Job cannot continue" then using Enfocus Switch and HP Digital Front End JDF Control.

The file gets to the error-folder, and then I 'Retry flow' to resend the file it usual get away to the next location, but I think when the file goes the second time by the JDF control it will not test to download the pdf to the Asset-location, it just makes the jdf-file and continues.

Then the JDF gets to the SmartSream Production Pro Print Server it stals and waiting for the pdf. And there is looks like it tries to rip, but nothing happening..

Anyone having the same problem?

This is the log from Switch;

Code: Select all

#Plugin Resources directory: /Library/Application Support/Enfocus/Switch/11/scripted-plugins/com.enfocus.HP~Digital Front End JDF Control
#List of asset files is: 4686394_Stora Mällösa 32.pdf
#List of asset URLs is: FILE://hpro1-sm1/Jobs/jdf_assets/4686394_Stora Mällösa 32.pdf
#Temporary JDF ticket location will be: /Users/macproauto/Library/Application Support/SmartStream Configurators/JDF/4686394_Stora Mällösa 32.jdf
#File extension for Asset is pdf
#Default Media name Silk 150g 450x319 set
#Unable to move asset to asset file Location: /Volumes/Jobs/jdf_assets. Job cannot continue.
#Job '4686394_Stora Mällösa 32.pdf' was already failed; can't send failed job
#Job '_02AQ3_4686394_Stora Mällösa 32.pdf' was moved from folder '/Users/macproauto/Library/Application Support/Enfocus/Switch Server/backing/Webtop JDF New/automanaged/Folder 31' to the problem jobs folder. Reason: see previous log message(s)
Then we tried to resend it;

Code: Select all

#Job '/Users/macproauto/Library/Application Support/Enfocus/Switch Server/ProblemFiles/Webtop JDF New/_02AQ3_4686394_Stora Mällösa 32.pdf' was successfully moved to its original folder '/Users/macproauto/Library/Application Support/Enfocus/Switch Server/backing/Webtop JDF New/automanaged/Folder 31' for retry
#Plugin Resources directory: /Library/Application Support/Enfocus/Switch/11/scripted-plugins/com.enfocus.HP~Digital Front End JDF Control
#List of asset files is: 4686394_Stora Mällösa 32.pdf
#List of asset URLs is: FILE://hpro1-sm1/Jobs/jdf_assets/4686394_Stora Mällösa 32.pdf
#Temporary JDF ticket location will be: /Users/macproauto/Library/Application Support/SmartStream Configurators/JDF/4686394_Stora Mällösa 32.jdf
#File extension for Asset is pdf
#Default Media name Silk 150g 450x319 set
#asset file has arrived at location: /Volumes/Jobs/jdf_assets/4686394_Stora Mällösa 32.pdf <- There is no file there!
#Job _02AQ3_4686394_Stora Mällösa 32.jdf was placed in folder Folder 10
Between jobs!
sander
Advanced member

Re: HP JDF Control - Unable to move asset to asset file Location

Post by sander »

I see ë as a character, alarm ringing immediately, let me tell you a little story about me and ë.

Once I had some trouble with a character in a filename. It's the ë, when a file is created on one of our Mac's, this character is seen as two in Windows. Switch and configurators threw errors all the time.
On a Mac, if you hit backspace after this character, the ë is gone.
On Windows, if you hit backspace after this character, the e remains, and the : is gone. So you have to hit backspace twice to delete it.

Now, in my incoming flow, I reduce the character set, and all problems disappeared:

Worth a try? ;)

Edit: I misread, no ë in your post haha. But it fits for ä, ö and all characters like that :lol:
lombert

Post by lombert »

Yes. that was my first thought to. But it works most of the time..

But I think I need to do that you suggest. I need to do that in 'HP SmartStream Designer Imposition', if I have extended characters there it will not produce the imposition..
Between jobs!
sander
Advanced member

Post by sander »

Yeah, had the same issue. Most of the time it's working, but that is when ë is made on Windows, then no problems after a Mac touches it. But if a Mac creates it, then there's this issue.

It both looks the same, that's why it took me a while to debug. I'm on Windows, the DTP department at Mac, really fun :lol:
cstevens

Post by cstevens »

When you say it gets to the DFE and tries to RIP but does nothing, is the job in a Pre-RIP state? Does it eventually go into "Needs Attention"? If so look a the job log and see if there is an error that is similar to "Unable to download asset at ..." If so then the PDF probably did not get copied correctly to the asset file location.

You may also try the other File move method "Data Stream" to see if that helps.

The configurator is using a simple s.move() function call with the default "Switch Copy" setting. If that call reports an error then I fail the job with the message you mentioned in your post. I don't believe I do any additional check to see if the file was actually copied successfully.
lombert

Post by lombert »

The file was never copied to the Indigo Server from the HP JDF Control Switch Configurator. The first time Switch gets an error says it can't copy, and then after resending the file from Switch error-folder it says it copied the pdf-file but no file gets to the 'JDF Assets'-folder..

And in the Server, it looks like the "jdf"-file is in the RIP. It says "needs attention"
This is the last line in the log;

Error: Problem with RIP engine File: 4686394_Stora Mällösa 32.pdf
Rip: hpro1-rip1:1
%%[ Error: syntaxerror; OffendingCommand: pdfexec

Error: Error ripping partition.
Between jobs!
cstevens

Post by cstevens »

That looks like it tried to RIP an invalid file. Perhaps the file was corrupted during the move? Are you sure the network connection between the Switch server and the RIP is stable, and that the DFE was not offline when the move occurred?

If the job moves on to the RIP state then it was able to access something at the URL referenced in the JDF ticket.

When the DFE tries to process a JDF job it first copies any referenced asset files to the local content storage. You can see if the file was successfully downloaded by looking in the S:\content_storage\catalog\ISVDownloads\default directory (Unless you defined a customer in which case it will be in a directory with the OrganizationName value). See if a file with the same name exists and that it can be opened with Acrobat or similar.
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

It is best to set the "Output format" property to "MIME package". This puts the JDF and the PDF file in just 1 file and there are no concerns about references to files from within the JDF. Just drop it in a DFE hot folder (possibly after a rename to get rid of unwanted characters) and all will be well. You can even post it to a URL avoiding folder access issues altogether.

If you do not have that property it means you are not using the latest version of the configurator. Get it from here: https://www.enfocus.com/en/products/swi ... figurators