Create contact sheet

emaginedigital

Create contact sheet

Post by emaginedigital »

Hello All,

I’m relatively new to Switch.

I have a flow from an iPhone app that converts images to a specific size, saves them as a PDF, and then categorizes them by the clients job number into separate folders.

I’m looking for a script or flow to create a contact sheet for each of these image sets/orders. The images consist of 2, 4, or 6 images and I would like to create one contact sheet for each order. Does anyone have any experience using PhotoShop Contact Sheet II, InDesign Script/ImageCatalog, Automator New PDF Contact Sheet, or HP SmartStream Designer? I can’t seem to get any of these to work.

Thank you!
cstevens

Re: Create contact sheet

Post by cstevens »

Can you give some more detail about what this Contact Sheet will contain content-wise?
gabrielp
Advanced member

Post by gabrielp »

cstevens wrote:Can you give some more detail about what this Contact Sheet will contain content-wise?
I had to look it up: http://osxdaily.com/2013/04/06/create-c ... nails-mac/

So it seems like he just wants to take folders of images and impose them onto a single PDF form.
Free Switch scripts: open-automation @ GitHub
Free Switch apps: open-automation @ Enfocus appstore

Want to hire me? I'm looking for my next gig. Contact me on LinkedIn or via email.
emaginedigital

Post by emaginedigital »

The contact sheet should be set up as a 2 x 3 for a maximum of 6 pdf images at 7.85 x 7.85" ea.
Contact Sheet.png
Contact Sheet.png (76.74 KiB) Viewed 6049 times
Files Structure.jpg
Files Structure.jpg (72.67 KiB) Viewed 6049 times
The current flow separates the incoming jpegs into the Source jpegs XXX-XXX-XXXX folder. Then resizes them to 7.85 x 7.85", adds a 1mm inset bounding box, and saves them as a PhotoShop PDF. The contact sheet in the attached image had to be created manually.
cstevens

Post by cstevens »

I know the SmartStream Designer Ganging configurator can take a folder of PDF files that are all the same size and gang them based on a selected imposition template (you might need to remove the Source jpegs folder first), but it might be easier to use the Assemble job step to create one large PDF containing all the images, and use one of the imposition configurators in Switch to do the 2x3 layout.

Is the text under each image already added, or do you need that done dynamically? If it needs to be added it would be easier to add it to each file before imposing IMO.
emaginedigital

Post by emaginedigital »

The text is important only to identify the order. We use the contact sheets the do final packaging of the product. We direct print these on white/black/black 1/2" Ultra board and zund cut to size. The final boards are all mixed up on the table after cutting and the number keep us from confusing the orders. Shipping label has the order number and so does corresponding contact sheet.