Question on Acrobat flow Element

numnational

Question on Acrobat flow Element

Post by numnational »

Hi all,

I just want to know if the "Adobe Acrobat Professionnal" module accept another format like tiff, JPG, directly inside on entry ?

I found this on documentation :
* Automatic: opens the incoming file in Acrobat without further instructions; Acrobat supports a number of formats in addition to PDF (refer to the application's documentation)

And localy there is no problem to open a Tiff file directly in Acrobat Pro. In switch flow i have an error... Don't understand why...

Thanks...
freddyp
Advanced member

Re: Question on Acrobat flow Element

Post by freddyp »

If what you want to do is to convert a Tiff to PDF I would not bother trying to get to the bottom of this, I would immediately implement a much better approach: use ImageMagick.

You can get the CLI from here: https://imagemagick.org/script/download.php. Using it in "Execute command" is very straightforward for such an easy task. In the "Command or path" you browse to the convert application that will be installed and in the "Arguments" you put

Code: Select all

"%1" "%2"
and you configure "Output" as "File at path" and "Output extension" as PDF.
numnational

Post by numnational »

Hello Freddy, i'm Boris from CMI France ;-)

Thank you, but not possible.

In Acrobat pro when we import a Tiff picture we can recognize the text and in the PDF the text can be search (OCR). I must have this in my final PDF, thats why i must using Acrobat Pro and not other... maiby a solution with pitstop server but i don't found :-(
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

Bonjour Boris!

I know that there is no support for the OCR functionality of Acrobat in the JavaScript API, but I have been able to make it work by editing the Acrobat preferences. In the Category - Convert to PDF you choose TIFF. You edit the settings. You switch on "Scan optimization" and you open the settings of that option and there you toggle on "Recognize text".
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

Or maybe use Tessearct and get it OCRed and output as searchable PDF...
Works in the CLI and may prove to be way more efficient and faster than using dedicated Acrobat configurator for that.
Boris

Post by Boris »

freddyp wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:59 pm Bonjour Boris!

I know that there is no support for the OCR functionality of Acrobat in the JavaScript API, but I have been able to make it work by editing the Acrobat preferences. In the Category - Convert to PDF you choose TIFF. You edit the settings. You switch on "Scan optimization" and you open the settings of that option and there you toggle on "Recognize text".
Salut Freddy this method work perfectly in Acrobat directly with the application. Thats why i project to make this in a switch flow but the flow element Acrobat don't accept Tiff on the entry :(
--
Boris from CMI France
Boris

Post by Boris »

Arthur wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:06 pm Or maybe use Tessearct and get it OCRed and output as searchable PDF...
Works in the CLI and may prove to be way more efficient and faster than using dedicated Acrobat configurator for that.

Thanks Arthur... i try with Tesseract but something wrong, don't work on my server... :| :| :| don't know why...
--
Boris from CMI France
JimmyHartington
Advanced member

Post by JimmyHartington »

I have privately used OCRmyPDF (https://ocrmypdf.readthedocs.io/en/latest/) to OCR scans of reciepts and the like.
In my opinion it is easier to use than Tesseract. But have not used it in relation to Switch.
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

Boris wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:06 am Salut Freddy this method work perfectly in Acrobat directly with the application. Thats why i project to make this in a switch flow but the flow element Acrobat don't accept Tiff on the entry :(
It works on my Mac. Perhaps there is another preference in Acrobat that plays a role? Also check if the preference setting for "Scan optimization" is not lost. When I first tried it, it worked in Acrobat but not in Switch. I checked the setting again and it was off. I put it back on, quit Acrobat, tried again and then it worked. So you may have to do some tweaking, but conceptually it should work. Unless the behavior is different on Windows, that I have not checked.
Boris

Post by Boris »

freddyp wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:27 am
Boris wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:06 am Salut Freddy this method work perfectly in Acrobat directly with the application. Thats why i project to make this in a switch flow but the flow element Acrobat don't accept Tiff on the entry :(
It works on my Mac. Perhaps there is another preference in Acrobat that plays a role? Also check if the preference setting for "Scan optimization" is not lost. When I first tried it, it worked in Acrobat but not in Switch. I checked the setting again and it was off. I put it back on, quit Acrobat, tried again and then it worked. So you may have to do some tweaking, but conceptually it should work. Unless the behavior is different on Windows, that I have not checked.
On my switch server (Windows), when a Tiff file arrive on Acrobat tool on my switch flow a have an error... :-(. can you show me your flow please ?
--
Boris from CMI France
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

I am not sharing the exported flow because it is too easy to share :D, but here is a screenshot:
Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 10.02.51.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 10.02.51.png (34.43 KiB) Viewed 28165 times
That is all I did, of course with the changes to the Acrobat preferences.

Does your input Tiff end up in Problem jobs? What is the error message?
Boris

Post by Boris »

Hi Freddy yes i have an error look my screenshot :
Capture d’écran 2021-12-16 à 17.48.20 - copie 2.jpg
Capture d’écran 2021-12-16 à 17.48.20 - copie 2.jpg (182.98 KiB) Viewed 28140 times
--
Boris from CMI France
JimmyHartington
Advanced member

Post by JimmyHartington »

Have you enabled JavaScript in preferences in Acrobat, as one of the log entries says?

Boris

Post by Boris »

Hi Jimmy, yes Acrobat Javascript is enable... Try again this morning... Error...

Capture d’écran 2021-12-17 à 09.11.10.png
Capture d’écran 2021-12-17 à 09.11.10.png (211.07 KiB) Viewed 28098 times
--
Boris from CMI France