Very high IOPS with AWS FSx

MattV

Very high IOPS with AWS FSx

Post by MattV »

Hello,

We've recently replaced our fileservers with AWS FSx drives - if you're not familiar, they're basically managed file servers, whereby you have the drive but don't need to maintain any servers.

Since the introduction, we've had extremely high IOPS on any drive which has folders monitored by Switch. This is not 100% conclusive yet, but will be by the end of this week.

I was curious if any others have had any similar experiences with any cloud based storage and Switch?
It's gotten to the point where we either spend an absolute fortune on FSx or redesign everything or remove Switch from the workflow.

Thanks
freddyp
Advanced member

Re: Very high IOPS with AWS FSx

Post by freddyp »

Is the Switch application data root on one of those drives or is that local? How many hot folders do you have on those drives?
MattV

Post by MattV »

The data root folder is not on them, it's local to the Switch server itself.
Without checking, there's probably somewhere between 5 and 10 hotfolders.

Interestingly when you view the open files via computer management, the Switch server has something like 1000 files open. So once it outputs a file (also on same fsx drive) it appears to keep it open in some way.

Will be doing a test today to completely block Switch and get a concrete answer as to whether it's Switch, but it appears very likely.
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

See if increasing the scan time for user-managed folders helps (it is in the Preferences - Processing).

I assume the output folders of (some of) the flows are also on those drives. There is an option to do a "Safe move"; see if switching it off makes a difference.

If none of that makes any difference (or not enough) please log this with support: https://www.enfocus.com/en/support
MattV

Post by MattV »

Thanks for your help, but we're using the 'Archive Hierarchy' component to output the files, so no safe mode unfortunately.
It's every other second that the problem occurs, it doesn't appear impacted by how often it is actually scanning the folders. I suspect it is continuously monitoring the folders regardless.

Will log a ticket once I am 100% sure that it's Switch.

Cheers