How to Find Type 1 Font

Santhosh@82

How to Find Type 1 Font

Post by Santhosh@82 »

Hi,

Adobe has announced its intention to end support for Type 1 fonts in January 2023. In case if we produced the PDF with Type 1 fonts then how can be validate through Enfocus action list. Is there any option to validate the font type? Please suggest.

Thanks,
Santhosh
JimmyHartington
Advanced member

Re: How to Find Type 1 Font

Post by JimmyHartington »

As I have read the announcement you should be safe if a PDF produced with a Type 1 font from Illustrator or InDesign. The PDF format does not remove support.
Only in the design programs.
It has actually already been removed from Photoshop.

To answer your question, their is an action to select font type.
But I checked a PDF I created yesterday using the OpenType version of Myriad Pro. Which should continue to be supported in InDesign. But it is reported as Type 1 in the PDF. So I think the font type in the PDF format is not exactly the same as the type 1 Adobe plans to discontinued.
magnussandstrom
Advanced member

Re: How to Find Type 1 Font

Post by magnussandstrom »

I was watching the Fogra webinar "ACT NOW TO AVOID THIS FONT DISASTER IN 2023'. The conclusion on your question was that "It's not possible to accurately determine the origin of a font after it has been embedded in a PDF."

In my understanding the font is converted when the PDF is created and are no longer a PostScript Type 1 font and there is no meta data of the origin.

But maybe the guys in the webinar was wrong or I misunderstod. :)