Keep job in Job Board while job is processing in external software?

magnussandstrom
Advanced member

Keep job in Job Board while job is processing in external software?

Post by magnussandstrom »

I've built a Job Board in Portal for trackning the job in different stages. One of the stage is 'Imposing in Apogee..' and the job is sent to Apogee for a minute before coming back into the same flow (keeping the unique prefix). But during the time that the file is processed by Apogee the job dissapears from the Job Board (cause there is no job in the Switch flow). I would like to see the job in the Job Board as the job is processed by Apogee before going to the stage 'Imposing finished'.

I remember seeing a Switch webinar where different options for external processing was discussed, but I can't find it..

I've been thinking of creating a temp file, that is removed when the job comes back into the flow, but if the temp file is placed in an 'end folder' the temp file doesn't show in the job board either.

Any suggestion how to solve this?
joaodaffonsojr

Re: Keep job in Job Board while job is processing in external software?

Post by joaodaffonsojr »

Maybe this work for you.
apogee flow.png
apogee flow.png (11.3 KiB) Viewed 4345 times
Apogee test.rar
(24.43 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
magnussandstrom wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:11 am I've built a Job Board in Portal for trackning the job in different stages. One of the stage is 'Imposing in Apogee..' and the job is sent to Apogee for a minute before coming back into the same flow (keeping the unique prefix). But during the time that the file is processed by Apogee the job dissapears from the Job Board (cause there is no job in the Switch flow). I would like to see the job in the Job Board as the job is processed by Apogee before going to the stage 'Imposing finished'.

I remember seeing a Switch webinar where different options for external processing was discussed, but I can't find it..

I've been thinking of creating a temp file, that is removed when the job comes back into the flow, but if the temp file is placed in an 'end folder' the temp file doesn't show in the job board either.

Any suggestion how to solve this?
magnussandstrom
Advanced member

joaodaffonsojr wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:22 pm Maybe this work for you.
No, because when the file goes to 'board test' the job disappears from the Job Board.
JimmyHartington
Advanced member

Post by JimmyHartington »

There is the "Generic Application" flow element.

Maybe that can be used. Have not had a scenario like this, but it could look like this:
magnussandstrom
Advanced member

Thanks Jimmy, thats exactly what I was looking for. I did a quick test and it does the trick (almost)!

Since I have multiple Apogee hotfolders I'm using Set- and Archive Hierarchy, and Generic Application doesn't seem to understand that the file is back:
Skärmavbild 2023-01-26 kl. 09.36.56.png
Skärmavbild 2023-01-26 kl. 09.36.56.png (34.34 KiB) Viewed 4292 times
JimmyHartington
Advanced member

Is the unique identifier in the filename the same?
Thinks this is a support case for Enfocus, if that is the case.
magnussandstrom
Advanced member

JimmyHartington wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:33 am Is the unique identifier in the filename the same?
Thinks this is a support case for Enfocus, if that is the case.
No it's not the same since the the output are splitted. Can you think of any workaround?

I just sent a feature request for the Generic Application app to Enfocus:

I suggest that you add a property in the app that’s called ‘Identicator’. The default value could be ‘Switch unique prefix’, but it can be changed to ‘Inline text’ or ‘Define single text with variables’.
JimmyHartington
Advanced member

I do not have an idea for a workaround at the moment, if the unique indicator is stripped.
JimmyHartington
Advanced member

magnussandstrom wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:47 pmCan you think of any workaround?
Does the output from Apogee have something which can identify the original file?
If so, a workaround could be to route the original file to a temporary folder, so it is still visible in the job board.
When the output comes it triggers an action which deletes the original file in the temporary folder. Then it disappears from the job board.
Of course some of the files can not delete it since the output it split, but they should just fail silently then.
magnussandstrom
Advanced member

The unique identifier isn’t stripped the issue is that the unique identifiers differs between the files that sent to Apogee with Archive hierachy and the file placed in the Generic application folder.

I will try the temp file solution. I need to put it in a folder thats not the last folder in a flow.. Then I won’t be using the generic application app. I’ll try it tomorrow.
DtM

Post by DtM »

magnussandstrom wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:23 pm The unique identifier isn’t stripped the issue is that the unique identifiers differs between the files that sent to Apogee with Archive hierachy and the file placed in the Generic application folder.

I will try the temp file solution. I need to put it in a folder thats not the last folder in a flow.. Then I won’t be using the generic application app. I’ll try it tomorrow.
Hi Magnus,

Did you ever come up with a solution to this?

I have a very similar need where I need to process a file using external software with multiple hot folders.
magnussandstrom
Advanced member

DtM wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:42 pm
magnussandstrom wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:23 pm The unique identifier isn’t stripped the issue is that the unique identifiers differs between the files that sent to Apogee with Archive hierachy and the file placed in the Generic application folder.

Hi Magnus,

Did you ever come up with a solution to this?

I have a very similar need where I need to process a file using external software with multiple hot folders.
No, I did not find any good solution for this. I did some more testing but could not achieve anything that fully served my need.