Replace a graphic globally across a multipage PDF

Jim L-G

Replace a graphic globally across a multipage PDF

Post by Jim L-G »

I am looking for a solution(s) on how to replace a common graphic across a 4,500+ page PDF for printing digitally.

The graphic (JPEG) in question is the large oval logo in the center of the page that prints ~15-20%% black on the client’s in-house printer (a watermark-look with black variable text on top of the logo) but their printer died. When we print it, it is coming out ~2%-5%. We are printing it on a Xerox Docutech (B&W).

I want to either be able to edit the logo or replace it with a vector, but as a global operation rather than manually on each individual page.

We are using Acrobat Pro version 2022, PitStop Pro 22.0.1.0

Thank you for any insights you may be able to share, creating an action, etc.
freddyp
Advanced member

Re: Replace a graphic globally across a multipage PDF

Post by freddyp »

You could select the object in question, remove it and place the correct one:

Select objects inside region (select the object and grab the position)
Remove selection
Select all
Add copied graphics (this can be anything)

You could of course also investigate why it comes out 15-20% on one system and 2-5% on another one. That points in the direction of very different color management settings. It is a JPEG image, RGB? Try if converting it to DeviceGray gives a better result.
Jim L-G

Post by Jim L-G »

Hi Freddy,

Well, if I read your answer correctly, the process you suggested is replacing the graphic one page at a time, and the file in question has over 4,500 pages.
freddyp
Advanced member

Post by freddyp »

Are you concerned you would be adding 4,500 objects to the file? "Add copied graphics" has an "Attributes" tab with an option "Share graphics between copies". The new object has to be placed on all 4,500 pages, that is correct, but it is just adding a reference.