Archive hierarchy (offline paths)

magnussandstrom
Advanced member

Archive hierarchy (offline paths)

Post by magnussandstrom »

I have a couple of flows (with many different output folders) where some outputs is not always online. For example I have a few flows that sending files to a Fiery Command Workstation DFE. During the weekends the Fiery server is shut down, and it's happens to be during the weekends I do maintenance and updates on our Switch server. And when I restart Switch and the Fiery is down I cannot start these certain flows. But since the flows have many other outputs I would prefeer to be able to start the flows anyway (and if a files is sent to the offline Fiery I would like it to go to problem jobs).

So to my question:

Is it possible to setup a flow that have an offline output paths but still be able to start the flow some how?
Last edited by magnussandstrom on Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patej

Re: Archive hierarchy (offline paths)

Post by patej »

Not to my knowledge. I have requested it years ago, but haven't heard from it since…

It is a problem for us, too, and we currently only have a workaround where we have a separate flow for such output folders that can be offline. This way, the main output flow can always be activated and jobs going to those possibly offline folders are routed (using our own script, but similar to switch2switch/flow links etc) to this other flow and go to problem jobs if the other flow isn't activated.
Padawan
Advanced member

Post by Padawan »

I have a done a quick and dirty workaround for this by removing the folder elements and using Execute Command/Run Command to move the job to the output folder.

Since the actual output folder is not in the flow Switch will allow you to activate the flow.

Of course, it is possible to have a Switch script which does this in a cleaner way.
mkayyyy

Post by mkayyyy »

patej wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:24 am Not to my knowledge. I have requested it years ago, but haven't heard from it since…

It is a problem for us, too, and we currently only have a workaround where we have a separate flow for such output folders that can be offline. This way, the main output flow can always be activated and jobs going to those possibly offline folders are routed (using our own script, but similar to switch2switch/flow links etc) to this other flow and go to problem jobs if the other flow isn't activated.
I also requested this awhile ago but haven't heard anything since. In my request I asked if it would be possible to keep retrying sending jobs to the output folder rather than moving them to Problem jobs
patej

Post by patej »

mkayyyy wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:18 pm
patej wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:24 am Not to my knowledge. I have requested it years ago, but haven't heard from it since…

I also requested this awhile ago but haven't heard anything since. In my request I asked if it would be possible to keep retrying sending jobs to the output folder rather than moving them to Problem jobs
Thanks for the info. This is a good example where it would be nice to have visibility to the feature requests. I'm really hoping Enfocus would one day add a place to the my.enfocus portal where you could see open feature requests, both your own and others', so that users could comment/clarify/vote/refine them. I'm sure that would help both us and Enfocus. I've requested that, too…
magnussandstrom
Advanced member

Padawan wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:45 am I have a done a quick and dirty workaround for this by removing the folder elements and using Execute Command/Run Command to move the job to the output folder.
I did a similiar thing now, but it aint pretty :)

The reason for the temp folder is to get rid of the unique switch prefix, there is probably a better way to do it.

xcopy.png
xcopy.png (39.89 KiB) Viewed 2551 times
Padawan
Advanced member

Post by Padawan »

In xcopy you have to provide the full path (including filename )to the source file and the path to the destination folder (excluding the resulting filename).

You can avoid this if you have a command where you have to provide the filename in both the source and the target path, this way you can combine a move and a rename in one command.

I did some quick tests with Run Command and this should be possible with the copy command:
Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 14.44.55.png
Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 14.44.55.png (132.19 KiB) Viewed 2535 times
This uses this command:

Code: Select all

copy "%%InputFilePath%%" "\\path\to\shared\folder\[Job.Name]"
Something similar should be possible with Execute Command
magnussandstrom
Advanced member

Thanks Padawan, that was so much better. I have changed it now.